Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

Forgot if I posted here or just in goose, since I am incubating geese and ducks together in my still airs.... Got 5 Dutch Hookbills hatched, one that was having no progress for 2 days after pip, so I have been chipping away a bit to help, there was a bit of blood, so I left the membrane and wrapped in wet paper towel, I am not sure how it is going to do. I also just had my First Silky Duck hatch, it sort of pipped low, not sure it was positioned right , so peeled a bit of shell away, and it jumped out!
wee.gif
It's bedtime so I am leaving him in hatcher overnight.

Last year I had major incubator problems,(3 power outages but still had 5 Hookbills make it when 90% of the others died....( they seemed to be 'too big' , so humidity and temp were messed up ). I also have 5 Silky duck eggs that were viable, not quite yearling drakes, and one didn't breed, his female eggs were all infertile.(so she got a new hubby, but not sure he knows either
hu.gif
Have another incubator set up with My Penciled Runners,Gray Runners, and all the silky eggs I could get in there. Also a few Shetland Geese eggs (yearlings, only about 30% were fertile in the first batch.

Update: the little hookbill that was having problems is out and recovering this morning, took him 3 days to hatch...
jumpy.gif
from ext. pip.Silky is fine and put in with brooder, he's so small , like calls...

Last edited:
That's often a diet deficiency. Or perhaps a drug problem. You aren't using medicated chick starter are you? That big goose liver just drags in everything, and it'll quit working on a moment's notice in a young goose.

How can anyone not be over awed at watching these little ones come into the world . When we have the Muslims continuing to bomb America , which as an Arabic American Christian I have warned you what Muslims did to my family in my families former Country, and you have ignored us. Then God gives us a bit of His peace as we watch these babies come into the world.

Hope this wasn't offensive to anyone. Not meant to be just a comment on the Goodness of God.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I am so happy to join this thread! We have two Welsh Harlequin eggs in a 'bator with five days left until hatch day. Two days ago we peeked in on them and saw them moving and the eggs look great. I am just getting excited/nervous about the impending hatch day (this Sunday.) I know with three days until hatch, they go into lockdown mode; no opening the 'bator and no more turning (the 'bator automatically stops turning the eggs.) Any other advice would be great.

Good luck Nebraskagirl. My runner eggs have gone into lockdown today! Terrorfied something's going to go wrong! Make sure you have some way if getting some more water in there without opening if needed. Ours is homemade and we've had to get a long wide drinking straw and a funnel to poke through an air vent when needed!

Embden babies oldest is a week older then the new 3

EE babies 4 days old

best advice to new folks is take a BREATH and relax.... it's gonna be a long wait

Hello everyone! I am so happy to join this thread! We have two Welsh Harlequin eggs in a 'bator with five days left until hatch day. Two days ago we peeked in on them and saw them moving and the eggs look great. I am just getting excited/nervous about the impending hatch day (this Sunday.) I know with three days until hatch, they go into lockdown mode; no opening the 'bator and no more turning (the 'bator automatically stops turning the eggs.) Any other advice would be great.
My best advice to you is to be patient. They are so slow to hatch!
Good luck Nebraskagirl. My runner eggs have gone into lockdown today! Terrorfied something's going to go wrong! Make sure you have some way if getting some more water in there without opening if needed. Ours is homemade and we've had to get a long wide drinking straw and a funnel to poke through an air vent when needed!
fl.gif

Embden babies oldest is a week older then the new 3

EE babies 4 days old

best advice to new folks is take a BREATH and relax.... it's gonna be a long wait
That gosling photo looks so familiar. I have a giant 3-week old gosling in with my younger ones.

My best advice to you is to be patient. They are so slow to hatch!
fl.gif

That gosling photo looks so familiar. I have a giant 3-week old gosling in with my younger ones.
th big one lost his/her bear when it gained siblings
wink.png

Hi guys!

I'm losing another gosling to the curious flipping illness.
barnie.gif
Otherwise, lots of hatching and babies.

Hi GQ! Hi PSue! Hi Everyone!
using save a chick or poly-vi=sol without iron?
frow.gif
btw

Nope, but I will add to the waters in the morning! Thanks for the tip!!! I hate losing goslings. Did I mention that I have a total of 42 goose eggs in incubators, plus turkeys and chickens. I keep meaning to go take the indian runner out so I will have pure ancona duck eggs. I think the hen is stealing away her nest somewhere allready. That somewhere would be the largish woodpile in the middle of the pen.

Back
Top Bottom