Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

Thank you, everyone! Nearly all the eggs are hatched now, and they are doing well.
pop.gif

My little Billie-Beak left 13 eggs behind in her nest before her and her mate were killed a few days ago. I have them in a home-made incubator and I hope it works out. A few of the eggs are double-yolks. These eggs have very, very thick shells on them and I wonder if that's normal and if a chick would be able to pip through if any were to even develop. I have eaten some of her eggs before and had to whack them HARD with a butter knife to crack them open.. they were like stones. I will candle the eggs in a week and see if any are fertile. I have attempted this before with no success. My little girl layed 31 eggs in her nearly 6-month lifetime.

LL

Billie-Beak and Raptor as ducklings. First bath after I got them at 3 weeks old.
LL

First day as my babies, day before Easter 2013.

Billie-Beak and Raptor at 4 months old. Happy beakies!

My little Billie-Beak left 13 eggs behind in her nest before her and her mate were killed a few days ago. I have them in a home-made incubator and I hope it works out. A few of the eggs are double-yolks. These eggs have very, very thick shells on them and I wonder if that's normal and if a chick would be able to pip through if any were to even develop. I have eaten some of her eggs before and had to whack them HARD with a butter knife to crack them open.. they were like stones. I will candle the eggs in a week and see if any are fertile. I have attempted this before with no success. My little girl layed 31 eggs in her nearly 6-month lifetime.

LL

Billie-Beak and Raptor as ducklings. First bath after I got them at 3 weeks old.
LL

So sorry for your loss. Crossing fingers that you have an excellent hatch!

LL

LL

Hard shells are definitely a duck thing! The ducklings hatch out of them okay but the higher humidity does seem to help those that are having difficulty. Steady temps are very important to make sure the ducklings develop into thrifty little egg breakers. The thick shells are what usually takes them longer than chicks but many many ducklings hatch out of the shells just fine. Sorry about your loss, hoping you have a good hatch.

Back
Top Bottom