Threadworm infection in humans from chickens?

FunClucks

Crowing
Apr 8, 2022
North Alabama
Have any of you ever gotten a threadworm (capillaria) infection from your chickens? Or other worm infection? Google says they infect people, but I haven't found a good answer on whether the strain that infects chickens is able to infect people also. Trying to determine if I need to change my keeping methods or consider treating myself and my family. It sure gets dusty in that coop, and I'm sure in spite of my best efforts I've eaten some of the dust. Also, kids don't always wash their hands before eating no matter how much I stay on top of them.

The vet has diagnosed by chicken fecal float threadworm (capillaria) and strongyle (I think this also ended up being capillaria, but he could've been more specific), giardia, and coccidiosis at various points over the last year, so I know these are in my soil. My chickens stay confined due to predator load. I've been worming the chickens twice a year, more often if needed, but haven't been worming the humans.

Not sure this is the place for this question, but I wasn't sure where else to put it.

I know that hookworms are zoonotic, possibly some types of tapeworms but not sure on that. Large roundworms, capillary worms, cecal worms, gapeworms are host specific. You can call your vet and ask him. Let us know what he says.

My birds are penned due to predators. I worm birds monthly due to our soil conditions. Valbazen (preferred) and Safeguard are what I normally use, have been for years, no worm issues. Both of these wormers can also treat giardia, but vets prescribe metronidazole.
We eat the eggs after using either wormer, have been for many years and I'm still here typing. Albendazole (Valbazen) is used in humans to treat worms. Fenbendazole (Safeguard) is safe as well. Toss the eggs in the garbage if you suspect someone might have an allergic reaction to the minute residue in the eggs.

Prior to starting a worming regimen years ago, I've dealt with most worms. Tapeworms were a pain in the neck to get rid of since they require a host (insect), and chickens eat insects. You have to control insects to control tapeworms.
The same can be said about capillary worms as well. Also, deep litter is a hotbed for capillary worms, possibly other worms as well.

Birds can get Giardia from drinking out of mudpuddles, unclean waterers, etc...It's easy to clean waterers with a little bleach and provide freshwater.
Sand in the pens eliminates mudpuddles. I have sand in all my pens AND in my coops and some of the nest boxes.
Our dog got giardia from drinking rainwater out of a scupper from a downspout off our roof. I got rid of the scupper and the vet prescribed metronidazole and it cleared up in no time.

Personal hygiene is paramount after being around any animals, not just chickens.
Since your birds are kept on the same soil, consider worming them once every 3 months and then go from there and see how things shake out for you and your birds. I think you'll be happy with the outcome.

Back
Top Bottom