Three chicks with nasal discharge and frequent sneezing

liammiller

Hatching
Jun 5, 2020
Hello everyone! First post here, but I need ideas. A bit of background on me, I'm currently 16, first time owning chickens, I live in Alaska, and I care for my family's 11 pullets that were born on May 12th of 2020. They are on pine shavings. This was my first place to turn when I encountered this issue. So I first noticed it a few days ago - I was taking care of them like normal when one of them sneezed and I felt a droplet on my arm. I noticed that there was discharge coming from their nose as well. I decided to keep a closer eye on them, and noticed that two others were doing it as well. Aside from this, they were all normal, keeping up with the others and eating and drinking as they should, normal stool. Also growing at a normal rate. Just as a precautionary measure, I upped the heat and put electrolytes in their water, which seemed to help for a few days, and they were improving, so I let off on the heat for awhile, and the symptoms returned. Any ideas as to what this could be or what caused it? I'm very concerned, would taking them to the vet help at all? Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much for reading this.

Welcome to BYC.
It could be ammonia fumes caused by soiled bedding, or dander in the litter, perhaps feed dust. Proper ventilation and changing litter will prevent what you're observing.

@dawg53 Thank you so much for the info! I'll try cleaning more often and see if that helps, I'll reply with another update in a few days. :)

Back
Top Bottom