Three day old chick with little bit of "umbilical" tissue sticking out??

Rose66

Songster
9 Years
Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
One of my three day old chicks had poopy butt so I was running warm water over her butt to soften the poop. During this process, she had a small bit of the "umbilical cord" hanging off way down low. I thought it was attached to feathers so I gently worked it off. After getting off what I thought was all the poop, I felt a blob down further. Thinking it was poop I started working on softening it. It came off easily so it very well could have been poop but when I was drying her off, a tiny bit of blood was on the paper towel. I looked at her rear end and saw some tissue protruding from where the egg sack was attached.

I'm so upset because I think maybe the "string" I pulled off of her was attached to her umbilical area rather than feathers and when I pulled it off, it pulled the now protruding tissue out of her. I put her back in the empty incubator to dry off. She is not actively bleeding now but as the picture shows she does have a problem there. What can I do for her? Do you think she going to die? I feel so guilty about this, I should have known better. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
20200619_093540[1].jpg

One of my three day old chicks had poopy butt so I was running warm water over her butt to soften the poop. During this process, she had a small bit of the "umbilical cord" hanging off way down low. I thought it was attached to feathers so I gently worked it off. After getting off what I thought was all the poop, I felt a blob down further. Thinking it was poop I started working on softening it. It came off easily so it very well could have been poop but when I was drying her off, a tiny bit of blood was on the paper towel. I looked at her rear end and saw some tissue protruding from where the egg sack was attached.

I'm so upset because I think maybe the "string" I pulled off of her was attached to her umbilical area rather than feathers and when I pulled it off, it pulled the now protruding tissue out of her. I put her back in the empty incubator to dry off. She is not actively bleeding now but as the picture shows she does have a problem there. What can I do for her? Do you think she going to die? I feel so guilty about this, I should have known better. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
View attachment 2202378
I'm sorry no one answered your thread sooner!
How is this little one doing now?

I would just keep a little ointment on it, if it doesn’t hernia, the chick should be fine and the area will close up. I would not do much to the area than a little ointment and make sure no one pecks that area. I hope your chick is okay.

The little chick is fine now. She/he is running around and growing just like her hatch mates.

Back
Top Bottom