Three eaglets on Eagle Cam!!!

Where was Mom and Pop when the guy started climbing up? What did Mom and Pop do?
pop.gif

They're circling the nest -- sometimes you can see them soaring overhead on one of the cams. They didn't attack the guy up there but they sure aren't happy!

I wonder how long it'll take them to come back to the nest after they put the eaglets back?

I'm amazed at how they just stay on the ground so quietly.

"16000 viewers in the blog and now we have 9100 so you can just imagine the comments and questions coming in. I'm afraid not all will be posted but we will do the best we can."

WVEC:
We hope to have additional video of the banding available later today, please check back later this afternoon. Also watch for coverage on 13 News tonight at 5 Eastern, which is also streamed live on WVEC.com.

The eaglets are now banded: NZ, female, 7.5 lbs.; NX, female, 6 7/8 lbs.; NV, male, 5.75 lbs.

I can't watch the eaglets any more . It's beginning to become too scary for me.
sad.png
The babies are getting big and they are too close to the edge for me. Looks like they will fall out of their nest any day. I am a Nervous Nelly right now. I'm sounding off.............................
hide.gif

One of the adults just returned to the nest!! I swear I yiippeed out loud before I thought about it!
woot.gif

It's a good thing it was slow at work today because I have not gotten much of anything accomplished!!!

sad news folks.....

http://www.wvec.com/my-city/norfolk/US-120702329.html?fb

mother eagle was killed by a jet this morning.
sad.png

NORFOLK -- An eagle was killed when it was struck by a plane coming in to land at Norfolk International Airport on Tuesday morning.

Tuesday afternoon, Stephen A. Living, a wildlife biologist with the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries confirmed it is indeed one of the nesting pair from the Norfolk Botanical Garden.

Moments before the confirmation, he said "we are fairly certain it's the female from Norfolk Botanical Garden based on the location, the physical characteristics of the eagle and the fact that the female hasn't been seen on the nest since early this morning."

DGIF management is meeting at the Botanical Garden. They're trying to determine the status of the eagle nest. They are concerned whether the male eagle can raise the eaglets solo.

A US Airways regional jet coming from Philadelphia was preparing to land at 8:50 a.m. when the pilot reported the bird strike.

Shank says the eagle was reportedly feeding at Lake Whitehurst with another eagle when the strike was reported

The plane landed safely and no one was hurt, Shank stressed. He added that there was minor damage to the aircraft.

Shank told WVEC.com that this is the second eagle strike in several weeks and fourth in 10 years; the others occurring in 2005 and 2001.

Shank said the airport is working with the US Fish and Wildlife office to see if anything can be done to protect airline passengers and wildlife.​

Back
Top Bottom