Three enormous dogs

Quote:
It doesn't sound like anything is going to change her attitude about her dogs. Be ready to actively protect you and your flock from future encounters with these dogs. It looks like its going to be a case of when it happens again, not if it happens again.

Quote:
Seems to be a recurring theme around here, when it comes to folks allowing their dogs to roam free in neighborhoods.

You will meet again.
wink.png

You mentioned that she goes to your church. Perhaps your church offers mediation when there is a problem between members? If not, then SSS. You've tried the civil route. Three St. Bernards would mean a huge hole. Do you have a backhoe?

I am so sorry you have to go through this. Some people just don't understand how to take responsibility for their pets. It is very difficult when you want to have calm, friendly and neighborly relations with those in your community but others make it very so challenging. You are right to take the high road, learn from the experience and be prepared to do what needs to be done in the future to protect your home/pets/family.

I agree with the others that you should get more for your time, etc. AND the fact that you already lost 16 chickens from a previous incident with the same bite pattern! If you have any evidence (photos?) from the first incident, that would help, but you could still probably file a claim against her homeowner's insurance for BOTH incidents. Get your chickens replaced, coop materials, and YOUR TIME paid for. You'd never get anything for "pain and suffering" for the loss of chickens, because most people can't see them as the wonderful little feathery people they can be.
wink.png

But THREE BIG DOGS doing this sort of damage, and the fact that they have (apparently) been there before? THIS IS SERIOUS, and $150 is chump change. This will NOT change the way she handles her dogs.

Unless she was BENDING OVER BACKWARDS with apologies and assurances, I wouldn't expect any changes. Those dogs will show up again. Do you own a gun? Where are you located? I'll come over and help with an SSS if you need it...
tongue.png

most laws and ordinances put's a dog attack in the 500 range. 150 is chump change....... some judges make the owners pay 500 per bird......... physical property damage........ you'd be getting time + materials.

Dogs packed up are very bad news. Years ago, daughters still at home, a fellow up the road had six Chows. They roamed the 5 mile length of this road and nearly every dog along the road seemed to have some Chow in it (they stayed busy). They chased deer and killed lambs.

They treed our outdoor cats in our backyard several times and Cass and I took several photos of this (spoke with him and showed him pictures - tried to be a `nice' neighbor). Push came to shove when Cass was coming home late one night. She stopped at the mailbox, reached in and felt something pushing her dress up (use your imagination) from behind. It was one of the Chows. She came in, picked up her LadySmith and was going to drive to the neighbor's place and shoot all the Chows.

Instead, this is what I told the neighbor the following day:

1. If your dogs are on our property they will be shot. Missouri State Law allows that response if one feels physically threatened by a dog. And we will always assume they are threatening.
2. After shooting your dog(s) we will call the County Sheriff and make a nuisance animal report.
3. We will then contact our lawyer and institute a civil action against you for depriving us of the right to use and enjoy our property.
4. If my wife is harrassed again I cannot guarantee she won't act and/or require expensive therapy...

Now that we have our chooks and turks we simply retire whatever has a taste for poultry (like to be able to let them have the yard for at least a couple of hours now and then without jaws and claws intervening) and skip the formalities.
But, maybe, someone more pacific than I might find the above useful (learn your local laws).

beccawprice wrote: Met with her this morning. She called a police officer to be here also--not sure why

I'd guess she feared the crazed `chookster's' self control might drift off to the left somewhere and come winging in at the end of said chookster's fist on her right cheek.

I'm, at this late date, still trying to determine if there is a preferred cut between being feared and being loved. All I can say to a certainty is that the former allows for more predictable outcomes.

Best of luck to you!​

Actually having a police officer with her was a good benifit for you.
who is to say she isnt a volitile person and knows this, the officer could have been there for your protection. just a thought.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom