KatyTheChickenLady

Bird of A Different Feather
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Boise, Idaho
This is what I made last week from one 5 lb CX that we raised ourselves

Last Sunday night:

Baked chicken with Carrots, Potatoes and Onions
Put the carrots and ¼rd potatoes in the crock pot, then the bird breast down, sprinkled one dry packet of Hidden Valley ranch buttermilk powdered dressing over bird, then put 1/4rd onions on top and sides. Cover and cook on low all day.
I made cornstarch gravy out of some of the drippings & everyone loved it, best of all dinner for four adults under $5.00 with leftovers.

Mid week:

Curried Chicken and Peas over Jasmine Rice
Made red curry sauce from 2 cans of coconut milk and one package of red curry mix then added the Cubed remaining chicken, carrots, & potatoes. There was only about a cup of chicken left, but it was the perfect amount. Let this simmer on low for about 30 min then about 10 minutes before serving add a whole bag of frozen peas, heat until warm through and serve over hot rice.
This served four hearty adult eaters and again was under $5.00 for the whole meal.

This coming Sunday:

Chicken & Red Bean soup.
I saved all of the bones, drippings, and skin from the baked chicken (about three cups worth)
This goes in the crock pot with a lot of water and two cans of drained kidney beans, one bunch of diced green onions, a handful of chopped cilantro, one diced fresh jalapeño, four thinly sliced mushrooms and juice from two limes. Before serving salt to taste & serve with lime wedges.
AGAIN Dinner for four adults for under $5.00

Sounds ike some great meals! Can't wait till I can either learn to butcher my own or have someone do it for me. Looking forward to just some baked or slow-cooked chickens!!

Wow. I think I (and some others I know) could take some lessons in frugal meals from you!

Thanks for sharing!

I've been afraid to try curry because anytime I've seen DH eat curry he breaks out in a sweat... and this is a guy who can eat jalapenos easily... not like me, I'm a TOTAL wimp... hence not trying curry... is this a mild (as in Taco Bell mild) kind of recipe? And if so, mind sharing?

Quote:
N O W A Y !!!!
lol.png

Quote:
thanks!

My thoughts on curry I L O V E I T!!!! However, it is not something I make from scratch and what I make does not compare with the restaurants, but it does satisfy the need
smile.png
I like yellow best but can't always find a mix so often use red (red is hotter), I'm not a fan of green. I just buy the brand Taste of Thai from the asian section at the market. One packet to 2 cans of coconut milk is pretty hot so I would suggest starting with a half a packet, you can always add more as you are cooking and tasting. That's it no real recipe, just a quick family meal that is geared to taste different than the one the leftovers came from.

If you have an Indian market nearby, they will sell great curries. I brought some back from Indonesia last summer, still using it
big_smile.png

The best of course is freshly made, which requires several ingredients and time to grind them all, but makes a big difference.
I too am hoping I can get to the point of processing my roos for food, I have one crowing now, and at least 2 others soon to follow.

Back
Top Bottom