1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Three great dinners from one fat bird!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Oct 30, 2010.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    This is what I made last week from one 5 lb CX that we raised ourselves

Last Sunday night:

Baked chicken with Carrots, Potatoes and Onions
    Put the carrots and ¼rd potatoes in the crock pot, then the bird breast down, sprinkled one dry packet of Hidden Valley ranch buttermilk powdered dressing over bird, then put 1/4rd onions on top and sides. Cover and cook on low all day.
    I made cornstarch gravy out of some of the drippings & everyone loved it, best of all dinner for four adults under $5.00 with leftovers.

Mid week:

Curried Chicken and Peas over Jasmine Rice
    Made red curry sauce from 2 cans of coconut milk and one package of red curry mix then added the Cubed remaining chicken, carrots, & potatoes. There was only about a cup of chicken left, but it was the perfect amount. Let this simmer on low for about 30 min then about 10 minutes before serving add a whole bag of frozen peas, heat until warm through and serve over hot rice.
    This served four hearty adult eaters and again was under $5.00 for the whole meal.

This coming Sunday:

Chicken & Red Bean soup.
    I saved all of the bones, drippings, and skin from the baked chicken (about three cups worth)
    This goes in the crock pot with a lot of water and two cans of drained kidney beans, one bunch of diced green onions, a handful of chopped cilantro, one diced fresh jalapeño, four thinly sliced mushrooms and juice from two limes. Before serving salt to taste & serve with lime wedges.
    AGAIN Dinner for four adults for under $5.00

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Sounds ike some great meals! Can't wait till I can either learn to butcher my own or have someone do it for me. Looking forward to just some baked or slow-cooked chickens!!

3. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow. I think I (and some others I know) could take some lessons in frugal meals from you!

Thanks for sharing!

I've been afraid to try curry because anytime I've seen DH eat curry he breaks out in a sweat... and this is a guy who can eat jalapenos easily... not like me, I'm a TOTAL wimp... hence not trying curry... is this a mild (as in Taco Bell mild) kind of recipe? And if so, mind sharing?

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    All sounds yummy but hold the cilantro...

5. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:N O W A Y !!!! [​IMG]

6. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:thanks!

My thoughts on curry I L O V E I T!!!! However, it is not something I make from scratch and what I make does not compare with the restaurants, but it does satisfy the need [​IMG] I like yellow best but can't always find a mix so often use red (red is hotter), I'm not a fan of green. I just buy the brand Taste of Thai from the asian section at the market. One packet to 2 cans of coconut milk is pretty hot so I would suggest starting with a half a packet, you can always add more as you are cooking and tasting. That's it no real recipe, just a quick family meal that is geared to taste different than the one the leftovers came from.

7. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have an Indian market nearby, they will sell great curries. I brought some back from Indonesia last summer, still using it [​IMG]
    The best of course is freshly made, which requires several ingredients and time to grind them all, but makes a big difference.
    I too am hoping I can get to the point of processing my roos for food, I have one crowing now, and at least 2 others soon to follow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by