Three new pullets...what should I feed them??

Sorry this is slightly off topic, but do they continue squatting for their whole lives? It's very convenient for picking them up, but I'm worried they'll outgrow it!
They only do the "Breed me" squat while they're laying or close to coming into lay/coming back into lay. There's also a submissive squat which looks pretty much the same, but with different meaning.

Someone will need to back me up, but I'm pretty sure starter/grower works as well (if your girls reject all flock like mine did 😒).

My layer REALLY likes the flaked oyster shell specifically, so I feel optimistic that she's handling her calcium needs. Egg shells are rock solid 👍
Where I live they don’t sell all flock at all. And because I want to feed organic, I figured out starter pellets is the best alternative to buy.

When I ordered a bag at the mill, they sold me broiler feed claiming it had the same ingredients as the starter (checked/right). The organic broiler feed is way cheaper than any starter they sell at the gardening and animal shop.

Now I give it mixed with layer feed which is a good combination for my flock, with heritage breeds and old hens. They don’t lay an egg a day as the laying hybrids where the layer feed is composed for.

Besides the pellet-mix and oyster shell which is alway available, my chickens find extra food when free ranging, and I give them a little scratch and left overs as well.

⬆️⬆️ good posts on squatting.

I have one really fat chicken who no longer lays…
Is this is a broiler type like Cornish? These chickens are meant to grow for meat, and killed before point of lay. They are not ‘established’ to lay eggs.
If your chicken is too fat as in overweight, you should give her more exercise and les (fatty) food. Being fat is not healthy and I have been told: when hens get overweight they lay fewer eggs.

⬆️⬆️ good posts on squatting.

Is this is a broiler type like Cornish? These chickens are meant to grow for meat, and killed before point of lay. They are not ‘established’ to lay eggs.
If your chicken is too fat as in overweight, you should give her more exercise and les (fatty) food. Being fat is not healthy and I have been told: when hens get overweight they lay fewer eggs.
She is a Buff Orpington.

Back
Top Bottom