Three on one--UPDATE

up date on Mattie...she is doing well...eating, pooing, snuggling up to her new best friend and guardian, Richard the Cochin roo...he is kind to her...I am a little ticked off at the vet...called him about the wing and all of that and got pretty much blown off...it is "just a chicken." Those persons acted as tho I had lost my mind being concerned over a CHICKEN...I was told they could gas her and do the wing but there would be a 50% chance she would die...wanted me to drop her off last night and pick her up later today...well...that was not going to work for me...the wing was suffering a compound fracture and hanging by very little tissue...I sterilized my tools and her and nipped the wing off myself...very little bleeding...stop sticked it after a good flush...anti biotics and a pain med and she is snarking up her feed as we speak...and it did not cost me two trips to town, a huge vet bill and Mattie...she is one tough little cookie and she is here forever...no fried chicken around here...at least not that one...I have this obnoxious, ugly roo of undertermined breed who ws supposed to be a pullet and who causes trouble in the yard that may end up in the soup...but not that gutsy little girl...her life has value...any one that brave and determined gets to live...

you'll have to take pictures once she's all healed up to show us how she looks.. i've never seen a chicken operate with only one wing, so it'll be interesting to see how she does...but by the sounds of it, she'll probably live well into the teen years!

Glad your girl is doing well now.....
hugs.gif

it is sad most vets don't care about chickens. I would never go to him again.

a couple years ago I bought 25 RIR from a hatchery and raised them in my yard. The neighbors dog always stacked my birds. I hated that dog.. One day I came home and all my chickens were dead. It looked like they were all gassed. The truth was that dog got in and killed them all. I as so upset and angry.

DSCN2393.jpg

an update on Mattie...she is healing, eating and all of that...I had to put her with a Cochin pullet and remove Richard the Roo as he decided to do the happy rooster dance with her and that just can not happen...she has one tail feather and a lot of balding but I see the beginning of feather growth on her back and butt...she has one third of her right wing left...they are isolated in a dog run and seem content...

and tho I bought five as Welsummers, they are in fact brown leghorns...the hatchery screwed up and it too me this long to figure it out...white ear lobes and her sister gave me my first white egg today...go figger...

Last edited:
oh she is doing so fine...tough little cookie...I was out tucking everyone in a half hour or so ago and saw her catch a mouse sneaking around trying to steal some cracked corn...he has a serious headache about now as when I left, she was banging him on the concret...he is probaby et by now...I am sure Wanda helped her out...Wanda in the dog house
DSCN2392.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom