Three unknowns

Well, I thought it was settled but then came across these pictures of a confirmed hen:

View attachment 3412908

side by side for comparison:

View attachment 3412910 View attachment 3412909

All the tells I thought made Fleef obviously a rooster are on this hen as well. I guess I just won't know until it crows (or lays an egg). Going on 12 weeks, though..
Except the saddle feathers on your guy - specific to males only. Lacking on the picture of the hen.

Except the saddle feathers on your guy - specific to males only. Lacking on the picture of the hen.
what's the difference between the saddle feathers on Fleef vs the saddle feathers on Chip (the smaller white chicken)? Mind they both came from blue eggs and are one day apart. I can see Chip's saddle feathers are a little shorter but then Chip is a smaller bird overall. Or is Chip also a rooster? I should probably get better pictures - the one with fleef was on a windy day so his feathers were kind of all over the place. But the 'growth pattern' of the two's feathers are nearly identical all over. Fleef does seem to have pointer tail feathers but it looks like they've been bitten to look that way.

A racoon got our chickens last fall. Kids were heartbroken so we asked a friend who runs a chicken farm for 6 eggs. Three hatched exactly 5 weeks ago, and here they are, and I don't know what gender they are (city doesn't allow for roosters, but the friend agreed to take any roosters back - she has no such restriction so doesn't bother figuring out genders, thus has minimal experience as I understand it).
This is Tally. Hatched from a brown egg. I'm 90% sure Tally is a rooster, but feel free to correct me if anyone knows better.
View attachment 3369810

This is Chip, who came from a blue egg. I am about 60% sure Chip is a hen.
View attachment 3369814

And finally Fleef (standing next to Tally), also a blue egg. I have no idea what Fleef is.
View attachment 3369815

I've made a gallery with all the pictures I have of these three, if additional pictures help. Any opinions would be appreciated!
How do they look now?

How do they look now?
Fleef is definitely a rooster (started crowing) and I'm pretty sure Chip is a hen. Tally is a rooster and we gave him away about a month ago because he started crowing early and kept picking fights with the other two. Fleef and Chip mostly get along but we're only hanging on to Fleef to keep Chip company until our new chickens are old enough to go outside, then we'll introduce Chip to her new roomies and send Fleef back to his parents. Don't have pictures at the moment but if I remember I'll try to catch some tomorrow.

How do they look now?
20230327_070648[1].jpg
20230327_070646[1].jpg

20230327_070731[1].jpg

Back
Top Bottom