Three-week old check eating puppy pads

MissGreenJeans

Songster
Oct 17, 2020
Asheville, NC
Hi, chicken peeps. I think I screwed up. I lined the bottom of my brooder with puppy pads and then put pine shavings on top. Today I watched the chicks, now three weeks old, pull up a pad from underneath the shavings and then one bit off a few small pieces of padding and quickly swallowed them before I could stop her! I immediately removed the pads, but I’m worried about that chick. They’re all still only on chick starter. No grit yet. What should I do?? :(

Hi, chicken peeps. I think I screwed up. I lined the bottom of my brooder with puppy pads and then put pine shavings on top. Today I watched the chicks, now three weeks old, pull up a pad from underneath the shavings and then one bit off a few small pieces of padding and quickly swallowed them before I could stop her! I immediately removed the pads, but I’m worried about that chick. They’re all still only on chick starter. No grit yet. What should I do?? :(
I am pretty sure they will be fine. Chickens have been found eating much worse things and still survive. Although it might be smart to ask how large the piece was…

I am pretty sure they will be fine. Chickens have been found eating much worse things and still survive. Although it might be smart to ask how large the piece was…
Thanks for responding to this worried chick Ma and for the reassurance, cherrynberry! I saw two pieces definitely go down—both very small (maybe like 1/3 of a penny). I hope those were the first and only two!

They will be fine I think. I have Feral cats and will feed them on paper plates. I had funny chickens escape their run and go by the door and bite pieces off the paper plate, every darn day! Even once she was sick and lethargic and we offered her cucumber in a paper bowl and she slowly approached it just to bite the plastic bowl😂😂. Though she was much older, your chick should be fine.

Thanks for responding to this worried chick Ma and for the reassurance, cherrynberry! I saw two pieces definitely go down—both very small (maybe like 1/3 of a penny). I hope those were the first and only two!
They will be fine, I have had chicks eat pieces of dog pads as well…:oops: I try to keep the dog pads nice and dry. As so far, they are healthy still. A year ago, I also have had chickens eat styrofoam. They are still prospering!

I googled "puppy pad ingredients" before replying to your concern. According to info, the pads are usually made of gauze and plastic, but contain non-toxic ingredients, since puppies often chew on the pads too.

So though probably not good for your chicks to consume the pads in great quantity, a few bites didnt hurt them.

Have they had access to grit yet might be a good idea to give them some if not to make sure chick doesn't get impacted. Especially if your not sure how much they ate it cant hurt

They will be fine I think. I have Feral cats and will feed them on paper plates. I had funny chickens escape their run and go by the door and bite pieces off the paper plate, every darn day! Even once she was sick and lethargic and we offered her cucumber in a paper bowl and she slowly approached it just to bite the plastic bowl😂😂. Though she was much older, your chick should be fine.
Whew!!

I googled "puppy pad ingredients" before replying to your concern. According to info, the pads are usually made of gauze and plastic, but contain non-toxic ingredients, since puppies often chew on the pads too.

So though probably not good for your chicks to consume the pads in great quantity, a few bites didnt hurt them.
That’s a huge relief. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom