Ticked off at a nursery rhyme

RockyToggRanch

Songster
11 Years
May 22, 2008
Upstate NY
I was just looking out the window at the wet outdoors and singing "It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring." When I suddenly realized that the nursery rhyme is all wrong!

He most likely bumped his head BEFORE he went to bed and then wouldn't get up in the morning.

Someone obviously got their facts messed up.

Always knew you shouldn't let someone with a concussion fall asleep. Or did that assumption come from mother goose????

hmmmmm.....

I get annoyed that miss muppet is such a sissy when it comes to a single bug, and the sterotyping that goes with it. I dunno here the girls play with bugs too.

... Aint never thought about that LOL! The one that gets me is the one with the baby in the tree:
1) Why was the baby in the tree top in the first place?
2) Why did they make the bow break and the baby fall?
3) Why on earth would you make somethin like that up to sing to your own baby who you supposedly love? Gee thanks, mom.
lau.gif

You guys ever hear the English one Oranges & Lemons?

"here comes a candle to light you to bed, here comes a chopper to chop off your head, chip chop, chip chop last man's dead"
hmm.png

I looked it up thinking I'd remembered it wrong.... close enough.

Oranges and lemons
Say the bells of St. Clements
I owe you five farthings
Say the bells of St. Martins
When will you pay me?
Say the bells at Old Bailey
When I grow rich
Say the bells at Shoreditch
When will that be?
Say the bells of Stepney
I'm sure I don't know
Says the great bell of Bow

Here comes a candle to light you to bed
Here comes a chopper to chop off your head
Spoken:

Chip chop chip chop the last man's HEAD!

Last edited:
imagine how i felt when i found out the first star i saw at night was just a planet. that was way back in the day when there were 9 planets.

What about the horribly twisted version of bedtime prayers that says in part...'if I should die before I wake'

That's a great concept to put in a child's head before they go to sleep at night.

Yes, yes I know the other, less morbid version.
tongue.gif

Is it any wonder my generation is so screwed up? LOL

I'm pulling out the nursery rhyme books on the kids shelf and looking at them closer....
smile.png

Our child drama class researches all those nursery rhymes to find the story behind them. The most well known, of course, is "Ring around the Rosie" which dealt with the plague. "Jack Sprat" is a political commentary about some old English Kind and Queen and their spending habits. I can only imagine what brought about the baby in the tree and the bough breaking.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom