Ticket for Noise, Pierce County WA

barrelassks

Hatching
Sep 3, 2019
I have received a ticket in the mail for excessive noise related to roosters. This is after a complaint from an HOA as well as a stop and talk by animal control one month ago. I have no idea which neighbors (three have to fill out forms with dates and times that they hear roosters over a 30 day span) which I will be filing a public records request for tomorrow.

I have lived on this property a vast majority of my life (41 years old) and my mom has lived on it for 45 years. It is zoned for roosters, but over that 4.5 decades, much of it has been developed. We have had peacocks, goats, pheasants, chickens etc since before I was born, and only have chickens and roosters currently. After receiving notice, I have given 3/7 roosters away (probably was excessive, but I hand raised them) and put the remaining 4 in cages in the garage attached to my house before 9pm every night and don't let them out until 9am every morning. I do not know which neighbors are complaining at this point, and even tried a no-crow collar with no success (I think these are inhuman and the roosters just flopped around with them on). I have emailed pictures of them in the garage every night and morning to myself. Not sure if their time data has any overnight complaints yet, but the officer says that he was here around noon and heard roosters. My oldest current roo is 8 years old, and I have Facebook pictures of when I got him to document that as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My sister was a lawyer at a fairly prestigious law firm and still has connections even since moving on, and we have gotten the name of another attorney who represented a similar case in the area, but at the same time, there is a limit to how much I can defend myself, and have tried the collar and taken them in at night. Thanks in advance.

Not sure if their time data has any overnight complaints yet, but the officer says that he was here around noon and heard roosters.
Hearing roosters is not a crime... did he hear any dogs barking? Or lawn mowers running?

Chances are it has to be below a certain decibel level regardless of day or night.

How far away are your neighbors? What does the ticket say? Have you looked up the ordinance yet?

Though I too am zoned for roosters, animal control informed me that I can have as many as I want UNTIL my neighbors complain. And if they do I would have to make adjustments. In other words a crappy over bearing neighbor COULD seriously impact my options. Some did express concern when I first started keeping goats that bleat (excessively when first weaned and moved away from their heard) and roosters, stating they sleep with their windows open and it faces my pasture. I requested they bare with me during the settlement phase, giving a time frame that if it were still an issue I would make the needed changes. Several moths later, hadn't heard another complaint or concern. It's nice to know the neighbors can approach without me being reactive and defensive... and when I moved in I let them know to please contact me if they had issues before it made them angry as they will get a much different response when acting reasonable. Unfortunately we do live in times where folks can be seriously concerned for their lives if they approach certain neighbors and going to the authorities is simply the smartest and safest approach.

I can tell you are trying to be a good neighbor! :highfive:

Hopefully AC and your neighbors will also recognize your efforts and cut you some slack. :fl

Adding your general location to your profile might help peeps make the best suggestion possible at a glance. ;)

ETA: I currently have about 17 roosters/cockerels and keep a stag pen where I grow them out until they are old enough to see true breeding quality. While I do have squabbles, I have never yet had boys "fight to the death".

If your property is zoned agriculture and you are allowed to have roosters you are in the clear. If the fields/farms around your property have been developed in the past years and made into housing developments that’s not your problem.
I too filed a public records act to find out who complained about my cockerel instead of approaching me and discussing it. Bottom line: the name and address of the complainer was blacked out.
Also check out the Right to Farm Act.

Last edited:
I am sorry you are going through this. It's a drag when people move into an area where noisy things exist and then complain about it. There's a thread on my next door group that is ranting about the noise from the small airport near me, that's been there for decades longer than any of the housing. Sheesh. That said, however, you need to look up your county ordinances regarding noise and "nuisance animals" to really know where you stand. Just because roosters are allowed, doesn't mean you are in the clear. Dogs are allowed most places, but if they bark all day or night, it means the owner has to shut them up or get rid of them.Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

I have received a ticket in the mail for excessive noise related to roosters. This is after a complaint from an HOA as well as a stop and talk by animal control one month ago. I have no idea which neighbors (three have to fill out forms with dates and times that they hear roosters over a 30 day span) which I will be filing a public records request for tomorrow.

I have lived on this property a vast majority of my life (41 years old) and my mom has lived on it for 45 years. It is zoned for roosters, but over that 4.5 decades, much of it has been developed. We have had peacocks, goats, pheasants, chickens etc since before I was born, and only have chickens and roosters currently. After receiving notice, I have given 3/7 roosters away (probably was excessive, but I hand raised them) and put the remaining 4 in cages in the garage attached to my house before 9pm every night and don't let them out until 9am every morning. I do not know which neighbors are complaining at this point, and even tried a no-crow collar with no success (I think these are inhuman and the roosters just flopped around with them on). I have emailed pictures of them in the garage every night and morning to myself. Not sure if their time data has any overnight complaints yet, but the officer says that he was here around noon and heard roosters. My oldest current roo is 8 years old, and I have Facebook pictures of when I got him to document that as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My sister was a lawyer at a fairly prestigious law firm and still has connections even since moving on, and we have gotten the name of another attorney who represented a similar case in the area, but at the same time, there is a limit to how much I can defend myself, and have tried the collar and taken them in at night. Thanks in advance.

So you were there first...living on agricultural acreage zoned for roosters...they developed around you and those people bought the houses with your property clearly visible and are now complaining? People are amazing. We just moved from a neighbourhood that was developed from mountain forest and people were scratching their heads over why there were so many bears around on garbage day. The sad part is they call conservation and they shoot the bears.

Your current zoning will have everything to do with what the neighbors can and cannot complain about. If you have the time, a visit to the county land use (or whatever it might be called in your area) office can be time well spent. Also check out your noise ordinances. Here, farm animal noises (roosters, cows, horses and so on) aren't subject to regulation because … well, they're farm animals on unincorporated county land. When it comes to bigger animals like horses and cows, there's a # per acre restriction, which is sensible.

Dogs barking are in their own separate category in the county noise ordinances, because dogs can be trained. If you find that your zoning permits roosters etc., that gives you something to talk to the animal control folks about. Maybe they have to respond to complaints they receive even if you're not in the wrong. If you're not IN the HOA then I'm very curious how exactly they think they can attempt to regulate you …

Sigh.

Welcome to the BYC forums :welcome

Of course you can look up the current ordinances on this issue, but I am afraid you might be fighting a losing battle. If people continue to develop around you, sooner or later they will change the ordinances and limit your options. I see it around here for people living on the outskirts of town only to find in 5 or 10 years that they got swallowed up by the town and ordinances are forced on them about raising animals.

I hope you can work it out, but you might want to consider moving to a better location for you and your lifestyle if you see more problems with these issues in the future. I realize that not everyone has the option of moving. But, based on what I have seen in my local town, many people have tried to hold back the tide of development and ordinances and only lose the battle. I live in a rural area without any restrictions, but I also only have hens and they are very quiet. If you went with only hens, you could still enjoy your birds and probably ride undercover for a number of years. Best wishes.

Welcome to the BYC forums :welcome

Of course you can look up the current ordinances on this issue, but I am afraid you might be fighting a losing battle. If people continue to develop around you, sooner or later they will change the ordinances and limit your options. I see it around here for people living on the outskirts of town only to find in 5 or 10 years that they got swallowed up by the town and ordinances are forced on them about raising animals.

I hope you can work it out, but you might want to consider moving to a better location for you and your lifestyle if you see more problems with these issues in the future. I realize that not everyone has the option of moving. But, based on what I have seen in my local town, many people have tried to hold back the tide of development and ordinances and only lose the battle. I live in a rural area without any restrictions, but I also only have hens and they are very quiet. If you went with only hens, you could still enjoy your birds and probably ride undercover for a number of years. Best wishes.

That's what I'm wondering - if you go from unincorporated county and are annexed into the city - maybe you think you're under the county's noise ordinances but now you've got another layer of restrictions they gloss over in those 'planning' meetings... oh sure, nothing will change, we promise!!!!!! UGH

Back
Top Bottom