1. joerogrz

joerogrz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Loretto, TN
    This has happened to a few of my pullets so far. I find these blue-ish, fat, ticks on their heads and they have swelling in that area. Wasn't expecting them to come out this soon. Guess I'm getting some dust for their dust baths asap.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For those of you who don't know, these blue ticks can cause some serious health problems for chickens.

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    My dog gets that way when she gets a tick bite. I have never seen it on a chicken. Never seen a tick on a chicken. Yes they can carry some pretty serious diseases.

One time my dog got bit by a spider in the night and her whole muzzle was all swollen up. She had to get a prednisone shot for that.

3. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I am looking and looking at those pictures and I can't see the ticks. Where are they?

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:I can't see them either??? [​IMG]

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I can't see them either [​IMG]

6. chickeepoo

chickeepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Ummm, I'm betting the ticks were removed (I'd do that too as soon as I saw them) and you're looking at just the pics of the resulting swelling in the wattlesÂ…

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I see what you mean now, poor guy. I hate those ticks! This has been such a year for them too! [​IMG]

8. Tweeza

Tweeza Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    New England
    So what is that hanging from the underside of her beak? I see it hanging on the first pic and I see it on the second also.

edited: forgot the question mark

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  9. joerogrz

Oct 28, 2008
    Loretto, TN
    Yes I removed them immediately.

Ticks

Argas persicus is an external parasite of poultry and wild birds, and is also found on mammals. It is more common in warm climates, spends little time on host, and may also transmit spirochaetosis and Pasteurella infection. These parasites are more likely to be a problem of small scale poultry production in the tropics, than in commercial poultry in temperate climates.
    Signs

* Anaemia.
    * Skin blemishes.
    * Occasionally paralysis from toxins in the tick saliva.
    * Emaciation.
    * Weakness.
    * Reduced productivity.

Post-mortem lesions

* Anaemia.

Diagnosis

Identification of the presence of the parasites.
    Treatment

Elimination of cracks and crevices in the poultry housing. Insecticide sprays in these areas are more likely to be effective than treatment of the birds.
    Prevention

As for red mite control.

I got that from a different site, but it gives you an idea of how ticks can affect a chicken. I can't post the link since it's a "competing" poultry site.

10. joerogrz

Oct 28, 2008
    Loretto, TN
    What you see hanging is the swelling caused from the tick bite. I checked her out a little while ago and she still has the swelling, which probably won't go away for a couple of days.

Unless you mean the piece of grass or clover or whatever it is. She was grazing....

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by