Tile cooling station

Freeze water in 16 oz bottles for a day then cut the plastic away from the ice. We have a similar waterer and thats what we will be doing. We also use them in our dog bowls when they're outside.
Be careful with ice water and animals, if they drink too much too fast it can make them sick....especially dogs.
I actually saw a chicken get an 'ice cream headache'...it was kinda of funny later, but I thought she was going to keel over....that's when I went to large ice chunks and just let them melt slowly.

Miami has had scorchers the past few days.
Had an irrigation issue for three days, now the grass is brown.
The aviary is shaded by 16 foot banana plants and a mango tree.

If it remains this hot I may set up a mister system for the hens. Has anyone tried a mister and does it help the chicks ?

We use both a mister and a cheap square fan. The fan runs almost 24/7 in the 90+ temps, and the mister I turn on in the late morn and off at early evening. The hens will gather in front of the fan at times, and also under the mister - so yes, my ladies do know where it is coolest and will stay there thru' the hottest hours!

It was 102 here yesterday and is supposed to be 105 tomorrow. I have a mister system attached to my springler system. I turn it on for them when it reaches over 103 here. They are in an open coop and a run. Actually a double dog kinel with 3 sides with shade screen or boards. To many cats and live next to the freeway to let them run. It gets up to 120 here, so a mister system is the only way to go.

I don't like the idea of misters because, while the immediate effect may be some cooling, ultimately you're adding humidity to the heat. And, having grown up in a river valley, I know that that's the wrong way to go in the long run.
It depends on where you live. I'm in the desert where it gets up to 120 and is BONE dry. So a mister system is the only way to go.

Back
Top Bottom