Tilted head?

PrinceSandwich

Songster
10 Years
Nov 11, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I have a 1 month old ee chick that has a tilted head/neck. Also his feet are cold, and he runs in circles. He also seems to have problems balancing him self. I have him in a small box by himself. What could this be?

Probably riboflavin deficiency (or some other vitamin deficiency). Give Polyvisol infant vitamins without iron. 2 Drops directly into the mouth 2x daily for at least 2 weeks. Make sure this chick is receiving a nutritionally balanced commercial feed like Purina Start and Grow and that it is at least 90% of the daily diet. Don't free range, feed a lot of scratch or treats that fill up the crop and prevent this chick from eating his/her good food. You can add cooked egg and yogurt as a treat, however. If you don't see improvement in a week or so, post again.

Quote:
Since the chick hatched it has eaten duck starter and hen scratch ( made up of barly, wheat, corn, and a few others), and free ranged with its mom, so that probably why it got this deficiency.
I don't know if I'll be able to find polyvisol infant vitamins ir not, but I'll definitely look. Thanks for your info!

Walmart and probably any drug store would carry Polyvisol infant vitamin drops ( NO IRON), you could ask. Otherwise they usually have them with the baby products in the drug aisle, or sometimes just with adult, kids, etc. vitamins period

My friend used to put the drops on a cut up piece of grape and the chick loved to have it. I think its usually recommended to also give a couple drops from vit. 3 capsules (you cut an opening in one and squeeze out drops). My friends silky used to walk backwards, keep the head down or twisted and couldn't straighten. It would always go in circles. She had to use the vitamins for quite awhile but, he is almost completely recovered.

Back
Top Bottom