Time for a gun...help me choose the right one?

@JEFFROSS: There exists a Three Caliber GunSet for around $400 By the Time You get it Home - Everything but a Scope! One Action, so you only have to learn how to shoot basically One Gun. Interchangeable Barrels.

It is called the "Trifecta" it comes in a nice fitted case, and has a nice array of Calibers for the various models of the Gun. It is From ROSSI, not a First Line Gun Manufacturer, but Perfectly adequate for Your Family Use. It would be Perfect for training Your Boys that "Each Shot Must Count". It is easy to see that is "Open, thus Safe". I am surprised that all the EggSpurts that have posted have not told you of this solution to your needs. It will Work as a .22, AND as a Long-Range Hunting Rifle, AND as a Shotgun.

It is a Break-Action Single Shot. To change Calibers, you detach the .22 barrel, and attach the 12 Gauge Barrel. Or the .243, or .223 Barrel. They also have .44Mag Barrels.and More!

Go Here:http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=274652737

Best Regards,
Big Ugly Guy

Wow, you are rude. We were waiting for an "EggSpurt" like you to suggest a $400 gun.

If you shop around for used guns, you can get a .22 rifle, a 12-guage shotgun, and a deer rifle for around $400. If the guy is going to spend $400 he can have all three.

I did a search on Texas Gun Trader, and here is what I found. There are also several Mosin Nagants and Mausers for less than $200.

.22 riflle -- $100
http://texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=181681

12-guage shotgun -- $100
http://texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=180568

.243 rifle with scope -- $260
http://texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=184664

Truly, I made no attempt to be rude. Additionally, the Gunset I proposed has only ONE FFL Transfer Fee, not Three. One Shipping Fee, Not Three. That is gonna add a good $100 to Your proposal. So, My Proposal comes in at or near $400 at his Home with an inexpensive scope, while yours would be well over $560.

I am only guilty of trying to be "funny" with A Single Word. Look at the rest of the post - Respectful and Responsive to the initial Post.

Your Proposal requires The New Shooter to Learn How to be safe in handling Three "New" firearms. Three Ways to Cock, Three Ways to Safe The Guns. Three Different Trigger Pulls. The Gunset I propose is NEW, all based on One Action, One Method to cock, and One Trigger Pull - this will help him and his family to be better shots.

Plus the New Shooter will have to find a way to Store, Clean and Maintain Three Long Guns.

Can You agree that My earlier response might be Cogent, Succinct, and On-Point?

Last edited:
For my gun selections, they would all be purchased in person. There are no shipping charges. Each person can search gun listings in their own area.

If one gun is broke, lost, stolen, or whatever, the person has two other guns.

What is wrong with someone learning how to handle and shoot three different guns? I would suggest he also needs to learn to handle and shoot a pistol.

Do you have trouble storing three guns?

Last edited:
I don't care for a all in one type of gun, I know people that love them and I am not saying anything is wrong with them I just don't like them myself. For a fairly low cost you could Pick up a .22 LR bolt or semi, a cheap Pump Shot Gun 20 or 12 GA, and a rifle maybe a 308 or even a 30-06 since it has a wide range of bullet selection as far as type and weight. You would have most bases covered with these. It also depends on where you live a 06 maybe to much gun for your area and you may be better off with a 22 Mag or a 204 or something like that.

I have a nice colllection and I have one for all situations, I tend to keep a Baby Glock in 40 Cal on my side at al times, Do to my job I do run into people of all kinds that I have put away and you never know if one will act up when I am with my family. I also keep that with me on my walks in the woods since I don't even know it is there unless I need it. If I have something trying to get at my livestock I will prob grab a .22 LR or maybe my .410 ( I do have a few over and under Shotgun/Rifle Combos ) But all in all .22 LR in a semi is the gun of choice ( No Scope )My Bolt Actions tend to be a little more accurate ( They do have scopes ) But if i have a few Raccoons I want to be able to get a quicker shot off.

@ Bullitt - I kinda got from the original Post, that the person wanted a single gun that would cover a variety of Missions. I think all who read his post agreed that there was no single Gun that would do what he wanted. I simply posted a solution to his stated Breadth of Tasks.

I am with Joe G - I have an assortment of Guns to cover my requirements.

I have no problem Storing/Cleaning/Shooting many different Guns, but I got that the OP wanted to buy only One.

I worked for many Years as a Range Safety Officer at My local Gunclub, and was also the Youth Program Chair for a number of years. Many Parents new to the shooting arts, driven by their Kids' wishes to learn Shooting, asked me for a similar Do-All Gun that was affordable. I suggested the Trifecta. Many later thanked me for the suggestion. I know that the Quality is not Top-Drawer, but it was good enough, Versatile enough, and cheap enough to get a bunch of Families into shooting.

I enjoy shooting, and Reload all my calibers but the .22LR, obviously.

There's nothing "wrong with it.
It just wasn't the question that was asked

He originally asked for one gun. Then he said he was going to get a .22 rifle and the others would have to come later. I was demonstrating that for $400 he could have all three guns, which is what he seems to ultimately want.

I have had rifles for years...just about every caliber available....but no longer. I switched to a crossbow...quiet, does the job, bullets are recycleable. My personal choice was a Ghost 400. Works on deer, possums, squirrels, whatever.

Back
Top Bottom