Time of day to let chickens out of coop?

Lesa

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2008
Upstate NY
I am new to forum and chickens! My chicks are from McMurray
Hatchery. They are just about 4 weeks old. I have moved them
out to the coop and they are all happy and healthy. I am looking forward to letting them out in the yard. Do I let them out at dawn or later (because of predators?) and when will they want to get back in the coop- before dark? I know they have to stay in the coop for a few days, so they know it is "home". Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Do you have an enclosed run? I started letting mine into the run at 4 weeks on non-rainy days.
I just started letting mine (8 weeks) out of the run into the great wide world a few days ago, I let them out about 2-3 hours before dark. So far they don't stray that far, and have been putting themselves to bed quite nicely. I usually time letting them out when they start roosting on the "big chicken" roost instead of in a little bunch in a comfortable corner or under the heat lamp. Nothing official about that, just what I have always done.

My chicks are 6 wks old and I let them out in the evening when I can be around to watch them. We have a dog and I don't trust her.

We have been letting them out since they were 4 wks old.

The chicks at first stayed around the coop but now they are working farther and farther away. They love being out in the great outdoors.

smile.png

My 6 week old chicks have been in the coop for a few days now. I get up at 6 in the morning, but because the mornings have been frigid here lately, I usually wait awhile so the air temperature can warm up a bit. I let them out around 8, and don't put them back inside until twilight. When warmer temps come through, I probably will start letting them out at 6 or 7.

Back
Top Bottom