1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Time of day to let chickens out of coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lesa, May 28, 2008.

1. Lesa

Lesa Songster

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I am new to forum and chickens! My chicks are from McMurray
    Hatchery. They are just about 4 weeks old. I have moved them
    out to the coop and they are all happy and healthy. I am looking forward to letting them out in the yard. Do I let them out at dawn or later (because of predators?) and when will they want to get back in the coop- before dark? I know they have to stay in the coop for a few days, so they know it is "home". Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. raindrop

raindrop Songster

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Do you have an enclosed run? I started letting mine into the run at 4 weeks on non-rainy days.
    I just started letting mine (8 weeks) out of the run into the great wide world a few days ago, I let them out about 2-3 hours before dark. So far they don't stray that far, and have been putting themselves to bed quite nicely. I usually time letting them out when they start roosting on the "big chicken" roost instead of in a little bunch in a comfortable corner or under the heat lamp. Nothing official about that, just what I have always done.

3. GaDawg

GaDawg Songster

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    My chicks are 6 wks old and I let them out in the evening when I can be around to watch them. We have a dog and I don't trust her.

We have been letting them out since they were 4 wks old.

The chicks at first stayed around the coop but now they are working farther and farther away. They love being out in the great outdoors.

[​IMG]

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Songster

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    My 6 week old chicks have been in the coop for a few days now. I get up at 6 in the morning, but because the mornings have been frigid here lately, I usually wait awhile so the air temperature can warm up a bit. I let them out around 8, and don't put them back inside until twilight. When warmer temps come through, I probably will start letting them out at 6 or 7.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: