Time sensitive hatching question!

Hutslark

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2022
Oh man—so Saturday my eggs were supposed to hatch. Sunday morning my chicks started to hatch. Three were left and by Monday night only one of those had pipped so I took the other two out and set them on my counter because I did not want them to explode in the incubator—Assuming they were dead. Tuesday morning. I got curious what it looked like inside and I gently chipped away at one and hit a tiny bit of blood, which I assumed was normal, because it was probably the veins. I chipped one more piece away, and all of a sudden it started to move, and it looks like a little beak, and it started to chirp at me! I immediately put it back in the incubator and upped the humidity and it is chirping. I am enclosing a picture of the egg and just want to know if you think I should chip away more of the egg or let it be? I just can’t believe it would still be alive being out on my counter for a full day! It’s been in there a total of one hour and is moving and chirping less…..

Attachments

• DF1733C5-4462-4250-B129-38B2A7EA1BDB.jpeg
    DF1733C5-4462-4250-B129-38B2A7EA1BDB.jpeg
    332.4 KB · Views: 15
If it’s already 3 days late, it probably won’t hatch. In my experience, the ones that don’t hatch with the main group rarely hatch. They may stay alive in the egg for a couple few days, but whatever problem prevented them from hatching on time also prevents them from hatching at all.

That’s not to say that there are never stragglers. But a viable straggler still hatches fairly normally, and fairly soon. Don’t worry that anything you did harmed this chick.

Btw, what happened with the pipped one you left in Monday night?

If it’s already 3 days late, it probably won’t hatch. In my experience, the ones that don’t hatch with the main group rarely hatch. They may stay alive in the egg for a couple few days, but whatever problem prevented them from hatching on time also prevents them from hatching at all.

That’s not to say that there are never stragglers. But a viable straggler still hatches fairly normally, and fairly soon. Don’t worry that anything you did harmed this chick.

Btw, what happened with the pipped one you left in Monday night?
The pipped one died unfortunately. I can see the eye of this one blinking when I shine a light and it’s taking all my strength to leave it alone!!

Mind you, I'm no expert, but if the baby doesn't start trying to hatch by itself within the next few hours, I would do an assisted hatch... you'd have to go very slow so as to try and avoid any bleeding. But so long as the yolk is absorbed, it *may* survive. If anything, I would try and take a little B12 and dab it on the exposed beak to try and get it to "drink" some; the B1w should help provide the energy needed to survive the next few day... just a warning though, the baby will likely need a lot of hands on care after hatch

Ok, so let’s pretend a miracle WILL happen—-do I leave it for a few hours? A day? Do I try to pick more off? It’s literally blinking at me.
I give them as long as they are still alive. Since it is already partly opened, then I would chip a little more, very carefully and try not to hit a vein. If it still has veins, that means it has not absorbed the yolk yet, and it could bleed to death. If you moisten the membrane and see veins, then DO NOT CHIP it!*

Check it every few hours. Eventually the veins will be gone and you can chip more. Keep checking and putting it back as long as it’s not dead.

*Editing for clarity: it’s ok to chip just the shell as long as you don’t tear the membrane. Tearing the membrane is what will make the veins bleed and kill the chick.

Back
Top Bottom