time to cull

Thanks guys. :)

Bdpost, this being your birds first spring and only being 5 or 6 months old, they may be ok to keep together this year. There may be some pushing and shoving this year, but I usually don't have much trouble with birds that are less than a year old and can usually keep them communal til their first year is up. Just keep an eye out and you might get away with it this year. If it starts to get violent, then separate out only the ones causing the trouble. Good luck! :)

Funny you should mention mites coming from the cut branches, I was thinking about that. So what are those other dead branches you use? The ones without leaves on them. Those are real, right? No risk of mites from them?

Funny you should mention mites coming from the cut branches, I was thinking about that. So what are those other dead branches you use? The ones without leaves on them. Those are real, right? No risk of mites from them?
In the last pic, those are fake christmas trees I got from walmart. LOL Cheap ones. These trees last for ever. The needles never fall out and if the trees get too dusty, I can hose them off. Funny, because when I first put them in, the quail were also fooled by how they looked and thought for sure the needles were real! LOL There the quail were, trying to nibble on them and pull them out. LOL

As for the other dead branches, those are dead Cholla branches. When these things are alive, they are covered with a cactus like skin and horribly prickly. LOL But when ever I find a dead plant, I bring the branches home. If the skin has not fallen off, I have to carefully scrap them. They make a good place to lay the christmas trees on and places for the quail to perch on. I think there are some cedar posts in that pile as well.

I too am so sorry to have helped in the Hijacking of this thread...please forgive!!! :)
After a few members posted on this, I ususally check the last response, and I did a "double-take" when it was something about Christmas tree limbs.... I was like, how do you "cull" using Christmas tree limbs?"
idunno.gif

OK, maybe we can get BDPost to change the title to "Time to Cull, and How to Beautify your Pen"... 2 subjects that go hand in hand.
lau.gif

After a few members posted on this, I ususally check the last response, and I did a "double-take" when it was something about Christmas tree limbs.... I was like, how do you "cull" using Christmas tree limbs?"
idunno.gif
I suppose you could cull quail by whacking them over the head with Christmas tree limbs.
lau.gif

Another quick question getting back to the original subject. Will the hens settle down once all the males are gone? I was able to cull two of the six males (these two were really getting after each other), and plan on getting to the other four here shortly. But the hens are now going a little nuts-o. I am afraid that I have started something that is not going to stop!

Another quick question getting back to the original subject. Will the hens settle down once all the males are gone? I was able to cull two of the six males (these two were really getting after each other), and plan on getting to the other four here shortly. But the hens are now going a little nuts-o. I am afraid that I have started something that is not going to stop!
Yes, if any of these females considered any of these males mates, (females chose their mates and mate for life), then they are going to freak out a bit. Not only did they lose a mate, but any ability to reproduce may not be happening for them. I have single females that panic every year when they don't have a mate during breeding season. If there are no males around for them to have, generally the females won't hurt each other.

So you can just keep these females together as long as they are not bothering each other, or get them mates.

Back
Top Bottom