Time to go outside?

Thechicksdigme

Songster
Aug 11, 2020
New Jersey
We have 6 chicks that are 5 weeks old. I was going to wait another week but my wife wants to put them outside. The temps here in NJ are mid to low 80's during the day and mid 60's to low 70's at night. Is it too soon to put them out in the coop?

We have 6 chicks that are 5 weeks old. I was going to wait another week but my wife wants to put them outside. The temps here in NJ are mid to low 80's during the day and mid 60's to low 70's at night. Is it too soon to put them out in the coop?

What temperature is the place the chicks are in now?
Do they still have supplemental heat?

It's just a matter of temperature--if they can be comfortable at 70 degrees in a house, they can be just as comfortable at 70 degrees in a chicken coop.

They should have no problems outside as long as their coop is absolutely predator proof. Given our present temperatures, they could have been moved outside weeks ago.
I also have 2 2 week old chicks. I have a heat lamp in the brooder but they never go near it. Should I give them another week before putting them out?

I also have 2 2 week old chicks. I have a heat lamp in the brooder but they never go near it. Should I give them another week before putting them out?

If no chicks ever go near the heat lamp, take out the heat lamp.

Then watch how the chicks act for the next day or two.

If they seem comfortable at room temperature, and if outside only gets a little cooler, then they will be fine going out.

They should have no problems outside as long as their coop is absolutely predator proof. Given our present temperatures, they could have been moved outside weeks ago.
I have 2 Leghorns that are 3 weeks old. Do you think they would be ok outside now? They still sleep at the other end of the brooder at night

Last edited:
I let my chicks out around the same age. I started first with a couple of hours and by week ten, they were out all day. I prefer to take gradually.

Back
Top Bottom