Time to Move Chicks Outdoors?

Guavacoop

Chirping
13 Years
Jun 30, 2007
We just embarked on our first chickens, so we maybe are a little over-protective. We have 4 chicks indoors with a 100 watt heat lamp, 6 weeks old and appearing to have full feathers. We're in Berkeley, California, where it gets down to about 53 at night these days. First question: Is it ok to leave them in their coop overnight now without any heat? Second question: Is it ok to leave them in the coop overnight with the coop door open -- we have a safe enclosure around the coop to protect them from predators -- will they be able to stay warm enough with the door open?

Thanks for any advice.
Guavacoop

They're probably feathered out enough to handle that temp.
I raise chicks in a cold building and heat lamps which replicate a hen. They usually spend more time in the cold space.
At that ambient temp I wouldn't worry about them.
If they are protected from predators, don't worry about temps.
Depending on the breed, most are quite cold hardy. They wear a down jacket.

Thanks. We have 2 Americaunas, 1 Austrolorp, and 1 Red Star. Do you know if they are hardy?

I happen to have feathered six week old chicks as well. Mine are outside with no lamp now. They haven't used the lamp in about a week. It's 46 and raining today. They aren't even huddled. It's really OK -- their feathers are quite warm.

Mine have a small coop and secure run with no pop door so the air moves a little in there. IMO, the wind is blocked well enough if their feathers aren't being ruffled when indoors. It's nowhere near freezing -- a draft isn't going to hurt them at this point. It's more a concern when they are covered in fluff.

Last edited:
My 4 week old chicks are outside in the coop. I have provided a heat lamp but for the last week or so they have opted NOT to stay under it. It was something like 11* here last night and they slept about 6 feet away from the heat lamp which I will be removing today.

My 4 week old chicks are outside in the coop.  I have provided a heat lamp but for the last week or so they have opted NOT to stay under it.  It was something like 11* here last night and they slept about 6 feet away from the heat lamp which I will be removing today.

11C or 11F? Big difference...

Back
Top Bottom