Time to Try to Sex EEs 9 Weeks

MissD'uccle

Cluck of My Life
10 Years
Dec 16, 2009
Elba Twp, MI
Alright my babies (EE) are 9 weeks old. I am only putting up the ones that I have under roo-roo suspicion.
smile.png

Chick #1
45838_100_2849.jpg

45838_100_2857.jpg

Chick #2
45838_100_2833.jpg

45838_100_2875.jpg

Chick #3
45838_100_2876.jpg

45838_100_2877.jpg

number 2 chicken looks the most like a rooster to me sorry not much help on the other 2 some things say rooster others say pullet guess wait for an egg or a crow sorry...not much help newbie here also. hopefully someone with more knowledge of EE's will chime in

Someone is crowing, i'm just not 100% sure WHO yet
big_smile.png
Thanks for the input ya'll. I figured 1 and 2 for sure....I flip flop on #3 daily! I got two white ones and was hoping one was a hen.... I'll keep on waiting
fl.gif

I am totally new to this, and trying to sex my EE/AM chicks. I guess I looked up everything else about the breed, but how to sex them!! From what I can tell, mine are 'Silvers' from the pics of chicks on the ACB website.
I know that some can be late bloomers, but I am hoping to cul the early bloomers (before they crow, they are not legal and I have a few neighbours that are 'twitchy').
Mine are about 5 weeks old, and some have red/pink showing up on their combs and faces. Roos? Some have enlarged combs starting, others do not.
Is it too early to tell?
I am trying to get pictures, but nothing is showing the red/pink. Will keep trying.
Thanks so much!

I've always been told that the best way with pea combs is to look at the rows. Roos will have three distinct rows (chick #2 first pic shows it pretty good) that are similar in size whereas the pullets will appear to have a more singular row chick #3 first pic seems to have this.. (middle row shows a little and the outer two are less prominant).... I hope I explained that right/well
big_smile.png
I'm pretty new to EE's also. Red color change is always a good indicator to start looking harder at a specific chick, but I've noticed some of my girls get pretty darn red too so thats a toss up. Try to get some pics up as the people on BYC are always willing to help!
hugs.gif

Last edited:
OMG, do I have a new respect for good chicken pictures!! I spent the better part of 30 minutes trying to get a good one of their red combs.

Red
58645_pict4853.jpg

Red
58645_pict4851.jpg

Not Red (yet?)
58645_pict4850.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality, will keep trying for better pics.

What do you think, Roos? To early to tell?

Back
Top Bottom