Timers for lighting

The Hen

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 26, 2012
Leslie, Michigan "The Place To Be"
You all talk about using timers for your lighting for egg laying. Please explain to me how this works. My coop has a regular in the ceiling light bulb outlet that has a light bulb screwed into it so i am wondering how does a timer work with that? Or is that the wrong set up to have. I am thinking i will have to go out in the am and/or pm to keep it on for a couple hours if i plan to use what i have. thanks.

These timers are most commonly used to run Christmas lights. They provide an outlet or two, to plug a cord into. You can plug a light fixture into them, but one of the simplest things to do is to plug a Trouble Light into the timer. The Trouble Light can be inexpensive as can be. Sometimes these are sold at Wally World or Harbor Freight for under $10. Problem solved.

Last edited:

These inexpensive timers plug into an outlet and be set to come on and off a bunch of times, as needed, in any one 24 hour period. I don't care for this really cheapo model, as the outlet, as you can see, is only 2 prong and doesn't include the ground.
hmm.png

These inexpensive timers plug into an outlet and be set to come on and off a bunch of times, as needed, in any one 24 hour period. I don't care for this really cheapo model, as the outlet, as you can see, is only 2 prong and doesn't include the ground.
hmm.png

Yes, but she doesn't have something to plug in. She has a ceiling bulb. The ones I linked to are for wall-switched lights.

Back
Top Bottom