Tin Shelter Building Steps for Peafowl

My Dad is going to look for some thick UV resistant cord to use to hold up the netting. We will use eyelet screws to string the cord through. I am not sure when the netting will go up. Counting me we should have 3 to 4 people to put up the netting so it shouldn't be that bad except for getting the netting over the blueberry bush without snagging.

I think Thursday is when we will make new roosts and put them up. The stress from the birds flying up and flying down from the roost definitely wiggles the screws, the wood, and the whole perch and even with bracing I have had issues. That is why I just scrapped the cross roost idea. Also adding quickcrete to the base of the roost post(s) helps stable it. Of course all of them were not made using treated wood so that is another bad issue. The other day I walked in and found the horizontal part of the roost where the birds perch had cracked completely in half and was lying in pieces on the ground. The wood looks okay on the outside, but on the inside it is completely hollow. I think not using treated wood is a horrible idea and was definitely a bad mistake. We didn't know any better but now we certainly do. Anyways, this particular roost was in a bad location as it was too close to the fencing so it was rubbing the netting always re-opening a giant hole in the netting that I kept patching, so we probably won't replace this one. They still have 2 more perches not including the inside ones.

We are also thinking about making a simple platform up high in the new shelter. The nest boxes were not a big hit with the peahens, so we are not going to make something like that. We are going to get some plywood and put a lip on the edge of it. Then I can put hay on the platform. We are going to put this platform up high inside the shelter. This way during the winter if the green peas feel like being warmer they can sleep on the platform in the hay. Also, they can nest up there. I know Reinhold uses high nest boxes for his green peahens and they use them. For this platform I don't really care if they want to nest here or not, it will mainly just be like a comfy sleeping loft for the green peas. It was my Dad's idea so credit goes to him for this fun idea. I really hope the peas make use of it.
Minx can you cover the blueberry bush with a sheet so the netting will not snag or is it to big? I agree with trefoil about the Cord it would be best to use wire or cable, you can get rolls of wire at tractor supply that is used for electric fences just make sure you get the heaver gage stuff
wink.png

Last edited:
The problem with using cord or rope is that it stretches, a lot.

When I owned the shooting range I had a 100 yard high power rifle range with targets that hung on a retractable trolley system. The trolley was pulled by a rope system, each target carrier used over 600 feet of rope and when it got shot it had to be replaced as knots would not pass through the pulleys.

It took quite a bit of research to find rope that would not stretch, but I found some kevlar rope that worked exceptionally well. That is what I used to put my netting up a couple of weeks ago and so far with two snows on it, it hasn't stretched yet. I did leave it so that it could be retightened when needed, one of the big plusses of rope over wire.

DW suggested that I offer some for sale if anyone is interested.

ETA, I also have a lot of wire rope for the same reason, but the cord was so much easier to use.

Last edited:
Thanks I am at school right now and unfortunately forgot my phone today. I could probably email my Mom this info to tell my Dad. I think he is buying stuff today and will be looking for rope, so this should be helpful.

The blueberry bush is pretty big. I figure I will have to cut it down just a little, but right now I am not sure how much cutting it will need. I could try putting a tarp or something over it.

The main thing about the wire is I am worried about it rubbing the netting too much and rusting. I am guessing I could get wire that doesn't rust though.

Thanks I am at school right now and unfortunately forgot my phone today. I could probably email my Mom this info to tell my Dad. I think he is buying stuff today and will be looking for rope, so this should be helpful.

The blueberry bush is pretty big. I figure I will have to cut it down just a little, but right now I am not sure how much cutting it will need. I could try putting a tarp or something over it.

The main thing about the wire is I am worried about it rubbing the netting too much and rusting. I am guessing I could get wire that doesn't rust though.
Stainless wire does not rust
wink.png
and the wire we use for electric fences is stainless i have rolls and rolls ..of it big rolls
wink.png

Depending on the cost of the kevlar rope, you can use turnbuckles on the wire or the old fashion way of using a board between 2 wires and twisting to tighten.

I used cable,.then galvanized wire to hold up my netting.The problem with both of these is pulling them tight.I found it was impossible to get every wire tight.Reason being is as you pull every wire or cable tight you are also pulling the tops of the poles inwards,or in the direction opposite the side the wire or cable is coming down. My outside perimeter poles has 4 wires on each one.Two coming in diagonally from opposite sides,and the other two wires are north-south and east-west. Pulling both diagonal wires and then an east-west wire all pulls the post inwards at the top. Then you go to the corresponding post opposite side and pull those wires tight and the same thing happens.Some gets tight,other loosens up,it's never ending.

Using wire and cable does give a lot of support to the netting but it's extremely hard to manage. Polyester rope will be used exclusively on the new pen builds for several reasons. Mainly because if I'm doing it myself it will be done in a short amount of time and it does not need to be pulled as tight as wire-cable to be taught tight.My poles are only 10' apart. If I anchor one end of the rope on a perimeter pole,then run it across to the last pole,then fancy a slip knot I can then use a rubber bungy strap or turnbuckle to pull it tight. Because the rope has stretch once tight even if it stretches some it still should stay tight and not sag,and need not be pulled so tight that it pulls the tops of the poles inwards at the tops.Plus I drilled holes thru the tops of each post for the wire to run thru,,this was 4 holes per post,,where using polyester rope I can drive a metal staple on top of the post and run the cable thru it. A very large staple about 2" long and driven into the pole about 3/4" will still leave room for 4 strands of rope going thru it.

I learned my lesson using steel cable and galvanized wire. It's almost impossible to pull it tight. And it's hard to work with.

Last edited:
That is exactly what I was thinking FBC, good to hear your experience.
thumbsup.gif

I think we are going to go with a good UV & rot resistant rope - probably polyester like what FBC mentioned. It will be easier to work with and if it gets too lose we can just tighten it. Also it should be an easy thing for me to adjust by myself which is definitely an important thing.

Back
Top Bottom