Tin Shelter Building Steps for Peafowl

No predator ?
hide.gif

Last edited:
Although AugeredIn's setup is perfect, and I really like the auto watering system, if you live in an area that gets snow you may have problems opening the doors. Consider raising the door up a foot, this will keep small birds from escaping and allow you to open the door with snow on the ground. It does have a drawback when using a wheelbarrow to clean out the run though, so nothing is perfect for all situations.

Legg's has a nice tutorial on his website. He promotes having connecting doors between the pens instead of each pen having an outside door. Think about the way you like to do your chores and pick the options that work the best for you.

Although AugeredIn's setup is perfect, and I really like the auto watering system, if you live in an area that gets snow you may have problems opening the doors. Consider raising the door up a foot, this will keep small birds from escaping and allow you to open the door with snow on the ground. It does have a drawback when using a wheelbarrow to clean out the run though, so nothing is perfect for all situations.

Legg's has a nice tutorial on his website. He promotes having connecting doors between the pens instead of each pen having an outside door. Think about the way you like to do your chores and pick the options that work the best for you.
I have a really easy way to deal with the door issue (and I have told Brad this would solve his particular issues as well)......don't live where there is snow!

Lot's of Palace action here the past few days,,but I'm still not anxious to get started here.I'm wanting to build a 40x16 chickenhouse instead of more pea breeding pens,which will need to be no less than 7 more pens. I do have 22 chain link fence panels,each is 8' high and 12' long. Pound a fence post down where each panel meets and some wite to hold them to the post and "viola",,then throw the 50x50 net over the top and go,, Would still need to divide up for pens tho,and add sight barrier,,gates,ect.

Okay it is finished except one side needs fencing and we have to cut the fence so that the shelter opens up into the pen. So without further ado, I will explain the process the best I can and provide photo examples! We started construction at 8:30 AM and ended at 2:30 PM.

First of all, there was a mistake made in getting the materials, so the shelter is 8ft by 10ft. I think it is 10ft high? Tomorrow I will have to measure it exactly and get exact measurements on the roosts.

Materials & Equipment:
  • Yellowwood brand treated Lumber
  • Tin
  • Long nails
  • Screws
  • quickcrete concrete
  • electric drills & an electric drive
  • hammer
  • shovel
  • post hole digger
  • measuring tape
  • electric saw
  • pencil for making marks on the wood
  • leveler
  • extension cord(s) for the electric saw
  • ladder (probably more than one would be best)

There was more tin and wood than this, but I didn't think to get a photo of the pile before construction started.

So I did really simple stuff today. Mainly handing people things, getting things, etc. I didn't really have much to do just stand back and watch & learn. Allen and Jasper did most of the work. My Dad is the tall guy in the overalls who is in some of the photos.

These first few photos show Jasper starting the framework of the top of the shelter. For every step, you want to pause to make sure everything is square and level. For anything working with just wood, you would use the long nails and a hammer.

Then you add more framework.

Now you grab a post hole digger and make 2 ft deep holes. Once you think you have about 2ft, measure it with the measuring tape to be sure. Areas where you dig with the post hole digger are marked with an X as shown bellow.

Now that the holes are dug, you take a wooden board and mark down 2ft onto the board. You can use this to pack down the soil and make certain that you have it at just the right desired depth. You may have to add or remove more dirt in the hole until you get it right. Below Allen is using wood to tap the soil.

Next comes the posts! If you want a 10ft high shelter, get 12ft tall posts because 2 ft. will be going into the ground.

A view of the pen this shelter is going to be attached to.

Each post hole gets filled in with the quickcrete - but it isn't time to add water yet.

One more corner post left and Jasper is working on putting out the quickcrete around each post.

Frosty kept displaying by the pen door so everyone could see his pretty train. I am so glad he is now comfortable displaying in front of people. Later though he got into a very long fight with Alto. They mainly just circled each other but they did jump and kick a few times. They seem very equally matched.

Now, with several people, take that frame you started with and slide it up the corner posts. Temporarily put nails not very deep into the wood under the frame to hold it while you get in place with the ladders to put the top frame all the way up.

Lifting the frame up. This shelter has a slight roof slant of about 4 in so the roof has to be at a slight slant. Before these corner posts were put up, they were marked on with a pencil to show where to put extra boards, etc.

Now Jasper is nailing the roof frame into place.

If you are like me and always question how many nails you need and where to put them, this might help.

Now that the basic framework is finished, it is time to add more. First they started with the back, which will be fully covered in tin.

Another large post is added in the center of this side.

The back frame is fully done and now the side facing the bushes will be framed out.

If I put too many photos in one post it will cause issues so I am going to make another post now.

Continuing on with the side closest to the bushes.

Starting on the nearest side.

Always measure!

This closest side will not be fully covered with tin. The top part will be covered in tin.

The inside.

Looking out at the pen.

Looking at the framework of the shelter from inside the pen.

Now more big posts are going up to help add more support to the sides.

The roof now has 2 more planks. A plank on either side of the vertical post.

This next step is very exciting to get to and that step is putting up the tin! Allen is laying out the tin & lining it up.

For the tin you use the electric screwdriver and use screws. This shows a few of the screws. You overlap the tin using the ridges and you put screws down the center of the two raised triangular areas as well as other areas.

Jasper working on attaching the sheets of tin. One sheet has writing on it so hopefully I can wash that off haha.

Now at this step since we have the framework all standing and lined up, we started adding water to the cement around the posts. Once it sets, it will be nice and sturdy!

The back side of the shelter fully enclosed!

The screws covering the back.

I will end this post with Frosty's big spur. This is what Alto is up against this year. We decided we will put Peep and Shyanne in this new pen with the young greens for a while. I don't want to breed Spaldings so that is not what I am planning on. I just don't want to put Peep through another year of torture being chased around by both Frosty and Alto. Peep doesn't fight so he shouldn't live with another peacock.

More photos and info on the next post.

Back
Top Bottom