Tino just flogged my Grandma!!! Here is what i did:

I have been really busy. I have been picking both up. Little Gray is 9 weeks, doing great. Tino attacked my dad today. Deffidently haven't convinced him to let me buy a separate pen (with my own money) but he doesn't think I'm misunderstanding his begging for treats.

That is not begging for treats, it is demanding them!

You and your family need to do a lot of work with Tino if you are to keep him. He will get better if you persevere, put the work in, be patient but firm, and ride out this hormonal period. Puppies do the same thing at around 9 to 12 months, challenging, biting, trying to dominate, etc as they reach sexual maturity. Most will later on make excellent pets if their owners treat them right, train them properly and don't give up on them. Sadly this is when most puppies get taken to the pound or abandoned because it gets so difficult. And when lots of roosters get culled!

That is not begging for treats, it is demanding them!

You and your family need to do a lot of work with Tino if you are to keep him. He will get better if you persevere, put the work in, be patient but firm, and ride out this hormonal period. Puppies do the same thing at around 9 to 12 months, challenging, biting, trying to dominate, etc as they reach sexual maturity. Most will later on make excellent pets if their owners treat them right, train them properly and don't give up on them. Sadly this is when most puppies get taken to the pound or abandoned because it gets so difficult. And when lots of roosters get culled!
I am 100% willing to put in the work for him! I have been holding him most nights. Some days, I have a big day, like a XC meet of something and I can barely lock them up at night.

I am 100% willing to put in the work for him! I have been holding him most nights. Some days, I have a big day, like a XC meet of something and I can barely lock them up at night.
Good for you, you sound very committed to him and your flock. You might need to train your family around him too so you are all being consistent with your handling of him, and he learns to respect each one of you. I wish you every success.

Personally, I ignore the males. I am one who will use a foot to knock an attacking bird out if the way (carefukky, more of a nudging than a kick), but other than that, I don't acknowledge them when I'm walking around. I'll say hi and hand feed when I sit down and am still, but once I'm moving, I don't look at the males or talk to them or toss out treats. Don't know or if that has anything to do with it or not, but just my two cents

Unfourtunately he got his leg stuck in a fence today, but is doing alright. Sadly were thinking he has to go, he is keeping up the bad behavior even though I've been attempting to train him. He is the main source of my problems right now. Were not 100% sure yet, but its looking that way as of right now😞

Unfourtunately he got his leg stuck in a fence today, but is doing alright. Sadly were thinking he has to go, he is keeping up the bad behavior even though I've been attempting to train him. He is the main source of my problems right now. Were not 100% sure yet, but its looking that way as of right now😞
Sorry to hear that. Ultimately you've got to do the best for you and your family.
He is such a handsome boy, do you think you could rehome him?
I can't remember if your chickens are pets or livestock to you.

Pets, I will never cull my baby. I won't be able to make any official choices until the morning, but inevitably that is what I think is best😞 I was really hoping to hatch a chick of his someday. Oh well, wouldn't want a son of his I guess.

Back
Top Bottom