Tiny Barred Rock?!?! What the Fig Newton??

thegreypony

Songster
10 Years
Mar 6, 2009
Metropolitan McLeansville
In short - p/u 9 chicks from breeder last Sat. at 2wks old. 4 Amer/EEs (whateves), 3 Aust, 2 BR. One of the BRs is just tiny! She's feathering out at the same rate as the monsters in with her (they just look giant compared to her) but just doesn't seem to be growing. One the A/EEs is also small but rounder - the BR is eating, drinking, pooping, etc...just seems ADR (ain't doing right) for her to be sooo much smaller. FWIW, all 9 were hatched w/i a couple days of each other.

Any thoughts on this weirdness? Maybe it's not weird and little people chickens are common place (typed the newbie)

TIA

Breeder had one pair of bantum seabrights on the other side of the farm completely contained in their own "hut." I'm thinking maybe runt and maybe I'm worrying too much about her/him but she just seems ADR. Her resp. rate seems higher than everyone else but there's no discharge, etc. She just doesn't seem to be as thrifty as the others. I moved her and another chick (closest to her size) into a sep. brooder with their own feed. The h2o has terramycin in it...I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to set the chicks up for success.

These chicks are the seed for a bigger flock and will be permanent (well, as permanent as chickens are) addition to the farm. They're also the 8 yo's 4-H project this year. Want to make sure we're doing everything right and while Damerow's books are great, the BB seems more user friendly and experience fed!!

Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom