tiny chick

LadyGunnar

Chirping
May 30, 2019
utah
I have 5 three week old chicks. All from the same breeder. One is very tiny. She is half the size of the next smalleat chick. She had pasty butt for 2 weeks. She seems shakey at times and is loud. She runs around the cage. She likes to be under the other chicks. Her crop was empty last night. She fell down when I tried to get her to eat. She seemed too weak to stand. I got her to eat a little.
What can I do to help her? She ignores all treats I put in the cage. The other babies go crazy and she stays in a corner. I feel bad for the baby.

Your tiny chick is likely failure-to-thrive (FTT). A chick can hatch without fully formed organs, and trying to process calories and nutrients is very inefficient, resulting in very poor growth and eventual weakness, becoming too weak to eat.

Your chick has reached the end of her reserves and needs help. Give a couple drops of undiluted Poultry Nutri-drench, in some warm sugar water. This should revive the chick enough to get interested in eating. Feed crumbled tofu, minced boiled egg, or strained baby food until the chick is eating chick feed on its own again.

Back
Top Bottom