Tiny egg with no yolk?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Porterfive, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Porterfive

Porterfive Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Collinsville, MS
    Hi Everyone,
    Yesterday we found out in the pen, a tiny egg, about the size of a candy robins egg. It had no yolk.
    We have lots of regular sized chickens, barred rocks etc, some duck wing bantys that normally lay small eggs about two or three times that size. We also have two female banty chicks that are about two and a half months old.
    Does anyone know what might have happened here?
    Not sure if this is an egg from one of the chicks or something gone wrong with one of the adult bantams.
    As far as we know all the chickens and chicks are healthy and have no problems, other than a few that are broody.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Jenny and Jessica ( who found the egg!)

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    They just happen from time to time-usually when a hen is coming into production or about to molt. At least that's how it appears to me.
    People call them Fairy Eggs or less politely Fart Eggs.

3. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    One of my RIRs layed one of those eggs a few days ago. She only stopped for a day and went back to laying like normal.

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I get those occasionally from my geriatric hen. I think she misfires and lays a fairy egg. The neat thing about them is they don't rot and explode. Just set them aside and they eventually dry out. They are perfect little novelty items.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by