Tiny Eggs? and will hens know to go back into the coop to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KidDynamite, Nov 22, 2011.

1. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    we were very excited to get our first egg on Sunday - 19 week old Buff Orpington was the layer, as I'd come to find out the next day. I know it's early - does that explain why the egg was so small? (the second egg the next day was the same) - like maybe double/triple the size of a quail egg. Much smaller than a "normal" egg. Picture/writeup is here:

http://kiddynamitesworld.com/we-have-egg

also, we let our 11 hens out to free range during the day, and put them away at night. Now that they're starting to lay (At least one, anyway) - we're giving them the ability to get back into the coop during the day if they so desire. Will they know/want to go into the coop and lay in the nesting boxes? The first two eggs were right in the boxes, perfect.

Story of the second egg: I found the first egg on Monday, and on Tuesday, I let the hens out in the morning. 20 minutes later I looked out the window and one of the Buffs was alone near the closed barn door looking agitated. My spidey senses went off and I went out there and let her into the coop. She followed me and jumped right into the nesting box. I watched her for 30 full minutes - turning, scratching, butt feathers flexing, chirping, but I finally decided to give her some privacy. I left for 10 minutes, and when I came back: Egg # 2 ! Exciting.

2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    A lot of chickens (most?) lay smaller eggs at first.

Yes, they will go back into their nice safe nest boxes to lay.

Congrats.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  3. bleith

bleith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    Quote:x2

4. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

What a nice coop you have! Love the tongue and groove and the fancy ramp!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by