Tiny little creepy crawlies

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by JMPE, Aug 8, 2011.

1. JMPE

JMPE Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Western Wisconsin
    Today we returned home from a long weekend up north. I went to take our eggs out of the nesting boxes only to find them covered with teeny tiny bugs. [​IMG] I need help figuring out what they are and what to do about them.

Here's the scoop... they were less than a mm (probably about the size of a period . ), very litle tan to medium tan in color and round in shape (from what I could see). Any idea on what they could be and what I need to do to rid myself of them?

BTW, I live in western WI. It's been very hot and very wet the last month. I have pine shavings in my coop and sand in my run. I use Stall Dry in my bedding.

Thanks!
    M~

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Do a search for red mites. That may be your culprit.

3. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    And get yourself a bag of food grade DE from your local feed store. Or order it online. It's non-toxic to chickens but lethal to mites and things w/ an exoskeleton. Sprinkle that in your nest boxes, hen house, in their favorite dust bathing spots and you can even put it directly on the birds. Although I've never done this. You'll want to take care not to get it in their eyes or let them inhale it.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Mites! And if the DE does not work go to your TSC/poultry supply place and purchase a poultry dust.

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    DE is a preventative, it will not necessarily kill established lice/mites. But you have the right idea. Poultry dust or Sevin dust is an insecticide and does wonders.

Here is what I did earlier this week.

Quote:FYI--expect flapping.

6. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. Upcycled

Upcycled Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    'Tis mite season!

SEVIN dust in their designated dust bathing area may do it for the birds proper, but not until you clean the coop. But to be sure, gloved and masked, dust them down yourself---attention to the hidey spots under the wings and near the vent. This first application will give the girls immediate relief, though the second step is critical to truly getting rid of them.

SEVIN the coop, then in a day or two ---when the first flush of mites die---SEVIN again, then---when the SECOND bloom dies, REPLACE all the pine shavings. Some would say just replace the shavings, but you will only be "re-homing" the mites if you don't kill them before you clean the coop out.

Glove, Mask, Dust, Rest, Repeat. Your mileage may vary.

Quill mites, scaly-leg mites and "regular old lice" lice are the big three.

And LITTER MANAGEMENT is the key word. Dry-dry-dry. [​IMG]

And I'd wait a good five days from the very last application and cleaning with SEVIN to eat any eggs. Yeah. Its that big of a deal.

8. Upcycled

Upcycled Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    [​IMG]

What Laree said....

HAHAAHAHAHA! Expect flapping!

[​IMG]

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sevin dust. Redust in 10 days.
    [​IMG]

10. JMPE

JMPE Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Western Wisconsin
    Thank you all! I kind of figured that's what we were looking at. It looks like all sorts of fun headed my way!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by