Tiny loner

I wish I could just add more.This whole venture was supposed to be my way of easing into retirement. I thought Id raise a few chicks so I ordered some from a feed store. how would I go about finding crested birds that I could integrate into my flock?
culling him would not solve the problem. he is just hormonal, not a bad roo (yet)

BYC, Craigslist, hatcheries
x2

I would appreciate your thoughts about this since I have not yet butchered one of my own birds. I put the most aggressive cockerel , Roscoe, out in the run and put tiny Zazu in a box where she could come and go as she pleases.
This is inside the 10x10 coop where I sit and watch them sometimes. With the more aggressive cock outside and just me and Motown (calmer cock) and the girls in the coop she ventured out and started eating and exploring.they are less than 6 months old. Am I just not giving him a chance or is he not worth the risk.
This is a good 'test'. Keep the aggressive cockerel separated for at least few days, if not permanently.

Having multiple males can definitely be problematic... the competition factor makes already hormone driven young males behave at their worst. If you are new to chickens, then having zero males might be the best route for you.

Adding more birds is another learning curve that I would not suggest you leap into just yet. Yes, lone crested birds can have problems being picked on, but it doesn't always happen.

This is a good 'test'. Keep the aggressive cockerel separated for at least few days, if not permanently.

Having multiple males can definitely be problematic... the competition factor makes already hormone driven young males behave at their worst. If you are new to chickens, then having zero males might be the best route for you.

Adding more birds is another learning curve that I would not suggest you leap into just yet. Yes, lone crested birds can have problems being picked on, but it doesn't always happen.
Thank you. That is helpful.

Back
Top Bottom