Tiny Snake is Tiny

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Stacykins, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Today my mother (who is afraid of snakes) came in to tell me that there was a snake in the driveway. She knew I'd be interested, and I rushed to grab the camera. It was an ultra tiny Northern Red Bellied Snake! I've seen earthworms twice the size of this little noodle! I took some pictures of the little one before letting it disappear into the grass. I am just glad Mom, despite her fear of snakes, respects that they belong in this world too. I know a lot of people who would have ended that little snake quicker than you can blink..

Just look at that vibrant belly! Wow! This snake was less red bellied and more in the red orange part of the color spectrum. It varies from specimen to specimen.
    [​IMG]

I wish I'd taken a picture next to a coin or something to show relative size, but I was too enthralled to think about it until well after I'd let it on its way.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Wow! He is tiny!

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Very cute! [​IMG]

I've found newborn California kingsnakes and gopher snakes but even these are bigger than your little one.

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    He is a tiny little guy! Nice pictures too! [​IMG]

5. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    It reminds me of the ringneck snake. They dont get any bigger than that and are supper cute!

6. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    awww very cute! i found a little baby snake like that jsut a little bit bigger though not much took it home to show my then 4 year old nephew he wanted me to keep it so bad but we took it back out and let it go

7. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    OMG, what a cutie pie!! [​IMG] Next time ship him to me Pleeeeeease! [​IMG]

8. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Awe what an adorable little guy. Say a big thank you to your mother for not killing him. Like you said so many people would have. I am one who welcomes snakes until they eat an egg or a chick then they are relocated. And by relocated I mean about an hour away from me. Lol! I mostly have garden snakes and they dont mess with my chickens. They actually dont dare go in there I have a new cochin rooster and a hen that kill any snake they see. [​IMG]

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Aww, he is cute! [​IMG]

10. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    We found a breed similar to that one while out riding, doing some research they actually do eat earth worms!!
    What a great find!!! thanks for sharing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by