1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

tiny spurs? is that a sure way to tell a rooster? please advise

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ladychik, Oct 21, 2013.

1. ladychik

ladychik New Egg

Jun 30, 2013
    I have 30 chicks I have raised to 6 months, someone told me if they have a tiny spur on the back of the leg this means it is a rooster. Is this true, because If it is I have alot of roosters. Please help. also I will add they are five different breeds. claifornia gray leghorn, black sex link, brohma, gold and silver wyandotte. thanks for any advice.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    All chickens have tiny spur nubs on their legs, even females. As males age, they get larger spurs. By the time your birds are seven to eight months old, any males should have small spurs developing. Hens will still have the small nubs.

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Spur bumps on young birds don't indicate sex...

Better ways to tell are posture, comb size, and comb redness. Tall, bold birds; with large or tall combs; that are turning pink before anyone else's = probably a rooster. Shy birds; with small, compact combs; that are staying yellow or dark and not turning red = probably a pullet.

Best thing to do is post some pics and BYC can help you out!

4. ladychik

ladychik New Egg

Jun 30, 2013
    thank you so much for your reply, big relief. I am grateful for this site as well, I thought I had 99% roos lol.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    And some breeds of hens can grow wicked spurs, I've seen a good inch long spurs on some hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by