Tiny White Bugs and Brown/Red/Black Scabs? HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken0Boy, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Chicken0Boy

Chicken0Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

So my Easter Egger has been being picked on a lot, but i didn't think anything of it..until i checked her out today.

I moved back her wings and her whole right side has been tore up. It is black and red scabs all over her side. There is also some blood. and she has little white bugs crawling all over her. [​IMG] She is not moving a lot either. Please tell me what is wrong, and what do i need to do. I can't get a picture of it. [​IMG] I'm so confused.

Thanks for the help in advanced.

2. Harli50

Harli50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Utah
    white things are lice thats all i know hope someone else can help

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  3. Harli50

Harli50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Utah
    white things are lice thats all i know hope smeone else can help

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  5. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Bugs and scabs indicate she has had the injuries for a while anyway. I would imagine she has infection at the very least in the wound and more likely septic (systemic infection). She is probably not moving much b/c not feeling well from the infection and pain of the wound itself.

Depending on the extent of the wound and infection you need to decide if you are ready for a long recovery w/ daily wound care where she is isolated and protected from the others so they can no longer hurt her. The other option would be to put her out of her pain.

If you are commited to nursing her, she needs a space by herself, you need to clean the wound, diluted iodine works well. There are several sites that talk about various wound management including a sugar bandage (or honey) but there are other options just look in the search on BYC.

If she is septic she will need injectable antibiotics, and even then the likelyhood of surviving is not good, if the infection is still local she stands a better chance but will still likely need antibiotic.

6. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    the bugs are probably lice [​IMG]. The lice, while they don't suck blood, do cause the hens skin to become iritated. The other chickens, maybe even herself, could peck at the bugs and leave small wounds, which would explain her bloody, crusty, skin. Though I must warn that this only happens in large infestations. I would recommend getting some seven dust and dusting your whole flock before it gets to late.
    Good luck!
    -Roxy

7. Chicken0Boy

So I could get them from her as well?!?!?!?!? [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She has lice which you should treat her for. The damage may be caused by roosters (do you have any?) or the other chickens may be picking on her. My suggestion would be to isolate her and see if she can recover.

9. Chicken0Boy

So I could get them too?!?!?!?!?! [​IMG]

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She has lice which you should treat her for. The damage may be caused by roosters (do you have any?) or the other chickens may be picking on her. My suggestion would be to isolate her and see if she can recover.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by