tips for building chicken coops on wheels

Braves06

Chirping
Oct 13, 2019
Tennnessee
Hi! i was just wanting a few tips on building chicken coops on wheels/chicken tractors. I'm currently building a coop on wheels for chickens to stay in 24/7. thanks in advance for any ideas.

Are you thinking layers or meat birds? And how many? I’m running a modified version of a Suscovich design for layers, with a small enclosed roosting box with a 1” hardware cloth floor so most of the poop falls through at night. I used pneumatic wheels as we get quite muddy and I have some rough ground. I’ve found them to be quite adequate for my needs. I get better (more even) fertilization of the pasture from my meat tractors though, which are sort of Salatin styled.

I found it safest to have a flexible wire apron than could be weighed down with a few rocks... if the coop is sitting in a not fully flat spot.

Make it strong enoug for a dog to bag and jump against it.

Also, you need quality wire, securely attached with tiny holes...the problem with a tractor is they can't run away.... so if predators can reach in... they don't have a chance... even if they are awake.

I kept the bottom of my tractors open.. no wire.. but I don't have any digging predators except for dogs. The quality wire is for the sides and roof.

Do you have a 4-wheeler? Makes it easy to move even a huge and hefty tractor.

Back
Top Bottom