tips for building chicken coops on wheels

Braves06

Chirping
Oct 13, 2019
Tennnessee
Hi! i was just wanting a few tips on building chicken coops on wheels/chicken tractors. I'm currently building a coop on wheels for chickens to stay in 24/7. thanks in advance for any ideas.

Kris5902

Crossing the Road
Oct 12, 2018
British Columbia, Canada
Are you thinking layers or meat birds? And how many? I’m running a modified version of a Suscovich design for layers, with a small enclosed roosting box with a 1” hardware cloth floor so most of the poop falls through at night. I used pneumatic wheels as we get quite muddy and I have some rough ground. I’ve found them to be quite adequate for my needs. I get better (more even) fertilization of the pasture from my meat tractors though, which are sort of Salatin styled.

Alaskan

The Frosted Flake
11 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
My Coop
My Coop
I found it safest to have a flexible wire apron than could be weighed down with a few rocks... if the coop is sitting in a not fully flat spot.

Make it strong enoug for a dog to bag and jump against it.

Also, you need quality wire, securely attached with tiny holes...the problem with a tractor is they can't run away.... so if predators can reach in... they don't have a chance... even if they are awake.

I kept the bottom of my tractors open.. no wire.. but I don't have any digging predators except for dogs. The quality wire is for the sides and roof.

Do you have a 4-wheeler? Makes it easy to move even a huge and hefty tractor.

Braves06

Chirping
Oct 13, 2019
Tennnessee
yes we have a four wheeler but we are not building a very large coop since it is only for 3 polish so i dont think we will need a four wheeler

Top Bottom