Tips for Cleaning out Coops

ChloeSilkie08

Crowing
Sep 10, 2020
Arkansas
I have 4 chickens coops. 1 is my Big Red Coop that I think is a 6x8, 1 is my Little White Coop and it's a 4x6, then I have 2 that are for 4 or so chickens with attached runs. The 2 small ones are for chick season only but the 2 big ones are awful to clean. I need some advice for getting motivation to clean out the coops because they are a pain to clean. You can't get in them to be able to scrape them out so you are constantly leaned over scraping instead of standing. Does anyone have any tips on making coop cleaning quicker and easier?

These coops are that wide but not full-height, walk-in models? That's extremely awkward.

You should probably consider modifying your coops to make cleaning and maintenance easier. Can you create new, larger access doors to allow you to reach into the coop more readily? Maybe putting doors opposite of the current doors so that you can work from either side?

If they don't have attached floors I'd consider raising them up on concrete blocks to make it possible to walk into them.

My coop is a 4'x4' and I can clean it easily with a long-handled manure fork, but that's the biggest I'd ever build a coop I couldn't walk into. Too wide, really, because while I can reach the far end with tools I can't lean in and get hold of a chicken that's pressing itself against the back wall.

These coops are that wide but not full-height, walk-in models? That's extremely awkward.

You should probably consider modifying your coops to make cleaning and maintenance easier. Can you create new, larger access doors to allow you to reach into the coop more readily? Maybe putting doors opposite of the current doors so that you can work from either side?

If they don't have attached floors I'd consider raising them up on concrete blocks to make it possible to walk into them.

My coop is a 4'x4' and I can clean it easily with a long-handled manure fork, but that's the biggest I'd ever build a coop I couldn't walk into. Too wide, really, because while I can reach the far end with tools I can't lean in and get hold of a chicken that's pressing itself against the back wall.
These are the 2 big ones.
DSC_0887.JPG

I don't know the exact specs but for sure under 6' tall. I don't have a pic of the access doors but it's the size of the bottom of the chicken door to the top of the window.

Is it on the end or the side?

You might be able to add another access door to the one it's not on so that you can more easily reach all areas of the coop with your manure fork.

Back
Top Bottom