Tips for great FEED BAG TOTES

Ive made a few of these out of our chicken feed or horse feed bags, I love them! I sewed quilt binding on the top edge of the last one I did and it looks great, I think I will do that on any I make in the future. It gives it a more finished look.

I also dont line mine with anything, I like that it is easy to clean as it is.

Chickiecat, don't buy handle material - the self handles really look the best. I've tried all kinds of handles, and the ones you make from 5" of the bag are actually the best. Try that first!

Up for grabs. Make me an offer. I think I have 4 pink, 2 blue and 3 yellow.
110882_img_2314.jpg

Can anyone post instructions on how to make the feed back wallet and checkbook cover? I have made one test feed bag tote so far and a couple of pillowcase totes (anyone have Vintage pillowcases they don't want?)

1. Thanks, but I don't need any bags.
2. I have looked all over for a pattern for a feed bag wallet. I have found nothing.... If I do see anything I will post it.

I gathered a bunch of bags to start making recycled totes. I washed all the bags really well, then let them dry. When I started sewing the first bag, the thin layer of plastic with all the artwork and packaging information started to peel off the woven backing. I haven't had the heart to check if this happens with all the bags I pre-washed. Has anyone else had this problem? How do you recommend cleaning the feed bag before converting it into a tote? I'm not sure I'd feel very comfortable selling/gifting grocery totes which cannot be washed. I notice some people make pretty fancy bags out of recycled feed sacks, and am wondering how they guarantee their cute product if the "cute" washes away ... ? Or guarantee the product isn't hosting a lot of germs ... ?

I gathered a bunch of bags to start making recycled totes. I washed all the bags really well, then let them dry. When I started sewing the first bag, the thin layer of plastic with all the artwork and packaging information started to peel off the woven backing. I haven't had the heart to check if this happens with all the bags I pre-washed. Has anyone else had this problem? How do you recommend cleaning the feed bag before converting it into a tote? I'm not sure I'd feel very comfortable selling/gifting grocery totes which cannot be washed. I notice some people make pretty fancy bags out of recycled feed sacks, and am wondering how they guarantee their cute product if the "cute" washes away ... ? Or guarantee the product isn't hosting a lot of germs ... ?
Some feed sacks have that issue of seperating,i think when they were made the layers r not bonded correctly.I always pre wash.I make mine to the best of my ability,i can not guarantee how long they will last,due to how they r cared for,i had one myself for over a year,then it started to seperate.

Back
Top Bottom