Tips for handling a skittish hen who hates to be touched

TheFugitivePen

Songster
Sep 14, 2022
Eastern Tennessee
I have a hen who has always hated being touched or handled. She's not mean (doesn't peck), but she flaps, struggles, and screams if she's ever handled. While the rest of the flock certainly is not snuggly, they are patient and tolerate medical checks, and, sometimes, they will squat for pets.

For the most part, I just let this hen be. I don't want to stress her out. I named her "Drama" for a reason, and she very much lives up to her name. She has been handled since she hatched, but she's just always hated being touched. She does take treats from our hands, so I know there is some trust, but she's the hardest bird to handle.

She's currently in "broody jail," so I did a quick check today. I noticed a small black dot on the bottom of each foot. I need to examine her more closely for bumblefoot and potentially treat it before it becomes problematic. However, before I could get a better look, she freaked out (of course). If she does have bumblefoot, I'll need to handle her to treat it, and I anticipate that being a massive struggle due to her hatred of being held.

How do you better handle, treat, and examine chickens who hate human contact?
I know to take her off the roost at night instead of chasing her around the yard, but are there any other tips for handling, examining, or treating a chicken once you have her off the roost?

My white leghorn and leghorn mixed were raised and socialized alongside their broodmates, Ameraucanas and RIRs. The former two are neurotic basket cases while the latter two are very friendly. What kind of chickens are you talking about?
Currently, we have 8 black Australorp hens who are just over a year old. Drama is an Australorp. The rest of our Australorp girls are very mellow and accommodating, but Drama has always been high-strung. I do not know why.

We added some chicks this summer--2 Easter Eggers, a Speckled Sussex, a mystery chick, and another Australorp--but they're still pretty young and haven't been introduced to the older flock. None of them seem half as flighty as Drama. She was prone to panic, even as a chick.

Wrap her in a towel with her feet sticking out to treat bumblefoot. Have a helper hold the chicken burrito while you treat, or you might could stick her under one arm or between your legs to hold her but this is much harder.

She will probably majorly freak out, so hold her so she can't aspirate if liquid comes up from her crop. But she can't flap and hurt herself or work herself up as much when wrapped up in a bath towel.

I had one who was like this. I waited at the roost for 30 minutes one night for her to roost for the night because I needed to put NuStock on her feet, and missed out on spending quality time with my kids during dinner. Everyone else was roosted up and tolerated my medical check and creme application, and she kept running off whenever I tried to get a hand on her. I said no more. She didn't fit into my management style, so I rehomed her. If I can't do vet care on her, she is risking the health of the entire flock. I had 18 other chickens that also needed vet care that night, and too many other claims on my time to go through the dog and pony show every time I have to deal with her.

Wrap her in a towel with her feet sticking out to treat bumblefoot. Have a helper hold the chicken burrito while you treat, or you might could stick her under one arm or between your legs to hold her but this is much harder.

She will probably majorly freak out, so hold her so she can't aspirate if liquid comes up from her crop. But she can't flap and hurt herself or work herself up as much when wrapped up in a bath towel.

I had one who was like this. I waited at the roost for 30 minutes one night for her to roost for the night because I needed to put NuStock on her feet, and missed out on spending quality time with my kids during dinner. Everyone else was roosted up and tolerated my medical check and creme application, and she kept running off whenever I tried to get a hand on her. I said no more. She didn't fit into my management style, so I rehomed her. If I can't do vet care on her, she is risking the health of the entire flock. I had 18 other chickens that also needed vet care that night, and too many other claims on my time to go through the dog and pony show every time I have to deal with her.
Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely try the towel swaddling.

I've gotten used to all of our feathered ladies resisting handling to some degree, but most of them settle down once they feel secure. Not Drama.
You're very right that, sometimes, a chicken just isn't a good match for a flock or her owners.
I don't know if I'm there yet with Drama, but, if she can't learn to settle enough to be treated, then maybe she'd be better off elsewhere. Hopefully, the wrapping trick with help.

Thank you!

Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely try the towel swaddling.

I've gotten used to all of our feathered ladies resisting handling to some degree, but most of them settle down once they feel secure. Not Drama.
You're very right that, sometimes, a chicken just isn't a good match for a flock or her owners.
I don't know if I'm there yet with Drama, but, if she can't learn to settle enough to be treated, then maybe she'd be better off elsewhere. Hopefully, the wrapping trick with help.

Thank you!
I rehomed my scared chick and another chicken that randomly decided to pull all the feathers off of a fellow chick's back when they were all around 6 weeks old (50-100 feathers gone in an HOUR!). They went to someone who doesn't keep their chickens confined, but lets them free range most if not all the time, and I thought that would be a better management style for those two chickens (mine are confined all the time in a spacious open air coop/run combo due to high predator load). There was more peace in the flock after they were gone, and I've never regretted my decision.

Best of luck figuring things out!

I have a cross-beak wyandotte who needs beak trimming regularly and she HATES to be touched. I mean HATES it. We have to use a net to catch her and she squeals like a pig the whole time. She will even move away while roosting, so not as easy as just grabbing her at bedtime. We have to have 2 people any time we need to handle her, because she will hurt herself (or us) trying to get free. With that being said, towel over the head seems to work the best. Firm grip, securing the wings, towel covering eyes and tucking under an arm is how we handle her. That has worked for us, so def an advocate of the towel swaddling. 👍

Back
Top Bottom