Tips for keeping a floppy duckling upright at night??

LostInWestTX

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2024
Hi all,

I VERY recently was given a call duckling (Acorn) who's got a bad case of the flops(?), can't stay upright, can't quite swim, but still has LOTS of energy and LUNG CAPACITY. I've already been giving Hydro Hen, rooster booster and nutri drench, with more coming in the mail later this week. I'm also planning on a vet visit asap just to be safe, thankfully their office fees are relatively low. Acorn is drinking, pooping, and eating BUT has no interest in crumbles, no matter how small I make them or if I soak them, only interested in greens and bugs. 😅

My current issue is that I need SLEEP!! I just need help thinking of ways to keep little friend safely upright while I'm crashed out, because the current preferred sleeping position is in my hand, which is absolutely my fault for spoiling the little nugget. I'm pretty sure I've imprinted on it as much as it has on me. 😭

TYIA - An exhaustion-sick, too old for no sleep duck momma. 🖤🦆🖤

Tiniest babushka in question for your viewing pleasure. 🥰

Attachments

• 20240414_000302.jpg
    20240414_000302.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 3
Take a towel make it into a donut shape place the duckling down into feet first. since Acorn is so tiny you may have to play around with different size towels to get it just right.

That is one adorable little Babushka

No greens or bugs without chick grit and if the little one isn't eating the crumble I don't know how you'll get it to eat some chick grit but the grit is what helps them to digest their food by grinding it up. You don't need it when feeding just crumble but for any other food given they need it. Put into a separate dish from their feed, they instinctively know when they need it. .
Are you using Poultry cell I see you say rooster booster but is it Poultry cell and you don't need Nutri drench unless your switching off one day with Nutri Drench and next day the other.
I am not sure I would continue the greens and bugs since what Acorn needs is crumble to get all the nutrients. Greens and bugs are okay but the crumble will give him/her the nutrients its little body needs. Put some wet crumble on the tip of your finger and see if you can get some nibbles going. Plus a mirror in with Acorn so the little one has someone to talk too.

Back
Top Bottom