Tips for male muscovies?

Le Moth

Songster
7 Years
Jun 19, 2015
New Zealand
Male muscovies have such thick necks that I stuffed up the last one, I used a hatchet and while he bled out within 20 seconds, it did not cut through the neck and was very traumatic for my brother(10) and I (I can still hear the poor duck gurgling)
I think I lack the upper body strength, I'm only 5", or I hesitated with the blow.

I thought maybe this time it would be better to cut the jugular but I had some questions.

Does hanging them upside down calm them the way it does a chicken?
What should I use to hang/put in such a large bird?
How do I know a knife is sharp enough?
What are the chances that I will stuff this up, as a beginner?

I may have 2, possibly 3 boys to do.
And are the girls any good to eat?

-Yes, it should

-Honestly, I might just hang them by their feet with a decently thick rope. Tie a loop about 6" long on the end and then reach through it and grab the rope and it will give you a slip to put the legs in.

-Sharpen it, then hone it on a steel, and it ought to slice through a sheet of paper without dragging. Myself, for cutting jugulars, I used a scalpel. You can pick up a handle and blades pretty cheaply at most farm stores that carry livestock supplies. Pay attention to the blades though, the kit with the handle usually comes with hooked blades, you don't want to use those. They should have "regular" looking scalpel blades to buy on their own. I use a pair of needle nose pliers to put the blade on the handle. If you're doing a number of birds, I'd get a new blade out every three or four. Again, use the pliers, gripping the blade at its base, not the sharp end. Also, make sure that you're taking the knife or scalpel with the BACK side of it and pulling down against the feathers, to part them so that you're slicing skin and not feather. YouTube videos often show this, but you'll run the back of the blade down against the grain of the feathers until you're where you want to cut, then roll the knife over so the blade is next to the skin, with the feathers now behind it.

-It's probable, but not a sure thing. Just make sure that you use your 'off' hand to gently grip the skin on the back of the neck and tighten it so that you're slicing into the jugular and not just the skin, that was the mistake I made at first. If you get a trickle of blood rather than a good stream, you haven't cut deep enough. Watch lots of videos, that helps a lot.

-If they're of a proper eating age, sure.

-Yes, it should

-Honestly, I might just hang them by their feet with a decently thick rope. Tie a loop about 6" long on the end and then reach through it and grab the rope and it will give you a slip to put the legs in.

-Sharpen it, then hone it on a steel, and it ought to slice through a sheet of paper without dragging. Myself, for cutting jugulars, I used a scalpel. You can pick up a handle and blades pretty cheaply at most farm stores that carry livestock supplies. Pay attention to the blades though, the kit with the handle usually comes with hooked blades, you don't want to use those. They should have "regular" looking scalpel blades to buy on their own. I use a pair of needle nose pliers to put the blade on the handle. If you're doing a number of birds, I'd get a new blade out every three or four. Again, use the pliers, gripping the blade at its base, not the sharp end. Also, make sure that you're taking the knife or scalpel with the BACK side of it and pulling down against the feathers, to part them so that you're slicing skin and not feather. YouTube videos often show this, but you'll run the back of the blade down against the grain of the feathers until you're where you want to cut, then roll the knife over so the blade is next to the skin, with the feathers now behind it.

-It's probable, but not a sure thing. Just make sure that you use your 'off' hand to gently grip the skin on the back of the neck and tighten it so that you're slicing into the jugular and not just the skin, that was the mistake I made at first. If you get a trickle of blood rather than a good stream, you haven't cut deep enough. Watch lots of videos, that helps a lot.

-If they're of a proper eating age, sure.
Thank you so much, this makes it seem a lot more managable and I never thought to tighten the skin on the neck.

hanging upside down does help but not to the same degree as a chicken. I highly recommend using a cone, one sized for geese or heritage turkey is best. Their wings are very powerful and they will be calmer/not flapping in a cone. In a pinch you can zip tie their feet together and make a "cone" by cutting a neck hole into disposable plastic planter or even longer shaped cardboard box.

I second the use of scalpel if you are unsure about sharpening a knife. Even an exacto knife will do if you use a new blade. A sharp knife is key. Use a strong deliberate stroke.

A few other tips- make sure the ducks are well hydrated for the fastest bleed/expiration. Hang them with their belly towards you. When you go to make the cuts locate the esophagus in the middle of their throat and hold it in place with your thumb to avoid cutting it- they'll bleed out cleaner if you don't and it keeps the bird more calm. Cut the arteries on each side of the neck just above the jaw bone- it will be like gilling a fish. Cut deeper than you think you need to until you get the hang of it. After the cuts continue to hold the head for down for a count of 10 or so, this will help them keep the arteries extended to bleed out faster.

also yes the girls are fine to eat. Not worth parting out as much. Roast them low and slow or slowcooker/pressure cooker muscovy is amazing- falling off the bone or in a soup. Best broth.

hanging upside down does help but not to the same degree as a chicken. I highly recommend using a cone, one sized for geese or heritage turkey is best. Their wings are very powerful and they will be calmer/not flapping in a cone. In a pinch you can zip tie their feet together and make a "cone" by cutting a neck hole into disposable plastic planter or even longer shaped cardboard box.

I second the use of scalpel if you are unsure about sharpening a knife. Even an exacto knife will do if you use a new blade. A sharp knife is key. Use a strong deliberate stroke.

A few other tips- make sure the ducks are well hydrated for the fastest bleed/expiration. Hang them with their belly towards you. When you go to make the cuts locate the esophagus in the middle of their throat and hold it in place with your thumb to avoid cutting it- they'll bleed out cleaner if you don't and it keeps the bird more calm. Cut the arteries on each side of the neck just above the jaw bone- it will be like gilling a fish. Cut deeper than you think you need to until you get the hang of it. After the cuts continue to hold the head for down for a count of 10 or so, this will help them keep the arteries extended to bleed out faster.
I ordered a guide to help with sharpening a knife (like a guide that slots on to the back of the knife to keep it at a constant angle) and if it doesn't work I'll use an exacto.
I'll look into making something like a cone.
Thank you, locating the esophagus sounds like a great idea before cutting.

I'm also putting it off a little because one of them is so sweet and gentle that I feel a little guilty but I do need to do it, no room for them and no homes for them. They taste great too xD

I ordered a guide to help with sharpening a knife (like a guide that slots on to the back of the knife to keep it at a constant angle) and if it doesn't work I'll use an exacto.
Do you mean for sharpening with a stone? If so, please share where you found a guide! I sorely need one. Right now I'm using a regular sharpener you draw the blade through and then a honing rod because I'm not confident enough with the stone yet.

You can also cut one corner off of a feed bag, pull the head through, and wrap it around them if you want. I'm not a duck expert, so I couldn't advise as to how they behave differently to a chicken, good stuff to know.

Do you mean for sharpening with a stone? If so, please share where you found a guide! I sorely need one. Right now I'm using a regular sharpener you draw the blade through and then a honing rod because I'm not confident enough with the stone yet.

I'm trying one of these guides
images.jpeg

So far my knife is definitely sharper than before, not as sharp as I want it yet bit I'm getting there.
Learning to use a stone is hard xD

I have a bunch of good ideas for restraining them, I just need a sharp blade and some courage haha

I'm trying one of these guides
View attachment 1701072

So far my knife is definitely sharper than before, not as sharp as I want it yet bit I'm getting there.
Learning to use a stone is hard xD

I have a bunch of good ideas for restraining them, I just need a sharp blade and some courage haha
OMG that's exactly what I need!!! Thank you so much for bringing it up, I had no idea they existed. Off to the Google! I have a two sided stone with slightly coarse and moderately fine sides, but I'm afraid to use it and ruin my knives because spatial stuff is so not my strong suit.

Back
Top Bottom