Tips for Raising a Single Quail Chick?

Somewhere_In_The_Clouds

🎶 Broken turns to Beautiful 🎶
Premium Feather Member
Nov 12, 2022
Australia
If you were reading my last thread on my babies you will know I had two. About two weeks ago one died, Chick #2.
If anyone has some suggestions to keep Piccolo happy, I'd appreciate it! I feel s/he is really quiet (when not calling out) and doesn't seem interested in being active without a buddy. S/he isn't entirely interested in my company, but isn't terrified of me either because of hatching early, I did a fair bit of handling till a sibling hatched.
20230131_104534.jpg

Awww!! S/he is so cute!!! Sorry to hear that your other baby passed :( I’ve never raised quail, but when our chick hatched earlier than her siblings (because of the gap of putting the eggs in the incubator) we put a stuffed animal in her box and that seemed to cheer her up a bit! :)

A mirror and/ or a small stuffed companion might help. Your best option is to look for another chick to keep them company, however.
I will keep an eye out, but I do not think it'll be easy to find one of the same age. I also very much doubt another Valley chick will become available. I've never seen someone selling chicks before.

A lot of attention, they will go down hill with FTT pretty fast if they get too lonely. If u cannot find a chick her age then try a docile adult female (some suppliers will know which of their ladies are docile) seperate them by something they can see each other thru (preferably in the same enclosure) Ur baby is old enough to get by with a heat mat as long as she's out of any drafts. After about 3 days u can start to remove the barrier for a few hours for a few days ... when they start to snuggle up together u won't need to put it back in.

Its either that, or u try to bond her with you, which will mean a lot of handling and cuddling. They're VERY needy. Think toddler and ur about the right amount of neediness 😂😂😂

Good luck ❤

A lot of attention, they will go down hill with FTT pretty fast if they get too lonely. If u cannot find a chick her age then try a docile adult female (some suppliers will know which of their ladies are docile) seperate them by something they can see each other thru (preferably in the same enclosure) Ur baby is old enough to get by with a heat mat as long as she's out of any drafts. After about 3 days u can start to remove the barrier for a few hours for a few days ... when they start to snuggle up together u won't need to put it back in.

Its either that, or u try to bond her with you, which will mean a lot of handling and cuddling. They're VERY needy. Think toddler and ur about the right amount of neediness 😂😂😂

Good luck ❤
Thank you for your post!
My baby is a California Valley quail, I feel my girls would hate me if I took them out of the aviary (I also don't think I could find another hen). And Piccolo is a bit to flighty for me to be comfortable handle her alot outside her brooder.
She is already using a heat mat though! I actually brooded her the whole way with a mat.
At this point I am considering making a brooder cage thing to put in the adults' aviary. Piccolo still won't have a friend, but wouldn't be lonely. I just dont want to take too much of the adults' space.
Would getting her a friend of a different quail species actually work?

Thank you for your post!
My baby is a California Valley quail, I feel my girls would hate me if I took them out of the aviary (I also don't think I could find another hen). And Piccolo is a bit to flighty for me to be comfortable handle her alot outside her brooder.
She is already using a heat mat though! I actually brooded her the whole way with a mat.
At this point I am considering making a brooder cage thing to put in the adults' aviary. Piccolo still won't have a friend, but wouldn't be lonely. I just dont want to take too much of the adults' space.
I dont see why it wouldn't as long as they're the same size quail when adult. Smaller or larger would inevitably lead to bullying behaviour ... quails can be ... errr for want of a better word ... twatwaffles 😂😂😂

Thank you for your post!
A different species might work, it might not. Your best chance of it working will be one close to the same age and size.

Back
Top Bottom