Tips for someone who is making an incubator

well, i had already tried to make an incubator, and it didn't work, but i kept the thermostat, so i had the water heater thermostat already there, and then i got a free pc fan, and a 12 volt battery charger,(to attach to the fan), then i went to walmart and got a plugin light socket, if you refer back to the picture, you will see that i use a 6 foot extension cord that has been superglued to the wall of the incubator, and plugged into the extension cord is the plug-in light socket, with the light bulb in it, and then i bought the plastic cooler at a swap meet for 5 dollars, and had the window pane for the lid of the incubator, and i had the hardware cloth already handy, and i had to buy pvc pipe for the egg turner and it was really easy to make and you can find on here how to make it, in the (Home made Incubator) section of BYC, and i had to get screws to screw the hardware cloth to the bottom of the egg turner, so that when i put the egg cartons on the egg turner, the egg cartons wouldn't fall through

Quote:
you would probably want some type of thermostat to control the temp, it will cost more money for your project, but it is worth it, with out a thermostat, the temp would be like that of the temp in a Chick-bator,,,,,,,, a lot of people us a water heater thermostat, and a lot use a dimmer switch

if i for somereason didn't use a dimmer switch or other type of thermostat could i get away with using a small computer fan instead?

I have a homemade incubator that has a fan, but no thermostat. I'm constantly having to check the darn thing and vent the hood a little more or little less to regulate the temperature. I don't recommend this. It's nerve-wracking (ask me how many times I'm getting up during the night to check it). Now, I also set up another tank to use as a hatcher. On this one I installed a dimmer switch on the light. It has been holding steady at 99-100 degrees and I haven't had to fiddle with it yet (been running 5 days now). This one also has a fan it in to better circulate the air and keep an even temp throughout. If you can spring for the thermostat, I'd do it, otherwise pick up a dimmer for the lamp.

Cost of my incubator
10 gallon fish tank -$0 had on hand
pink fanfold styrofoam-$0 leftover from siding the house
small personal sized fan-$6 from Wal-mart
light kit-$0 already had on hand
Hydrometer-$12 I bought 2

93025_sany3855.jpg

Total cost for incubator -$18

Cost of Hatcher

20 gallon fish tank -$0 had on hand
pink fanfold styrofoam- $0 had on hand
small personal fan -$6
Dimmer switch $7
Hydrometer $6
light kit-$0 had one on hand

93025_sany3874.jpg

Last edited:
stitch81-
Like:thumbsup your fish tank setup, I'm seriously thinking about building a hatcher but am waiting to see how my first incubation hatches. have all the parts that I need !
Ayda

really loving the fish tank design! ive got mine in a 50quart plastic tote at the minute. i dont have the thermometer and hydrometer yet but tommarow i will. i am wondering tho how to wire up the dimmer, or thermostat. i am not electricly savy at the least. i work at a Lowes so i am savy with most other stuff. i am thinking about a plexiglass window on the the side though. it looks to me though the thermostat is simply the hot wire connected to the either side?

Not sure about how to wire the thermostat, but to wire the dimmer: If you look at your lamp cord, you'll notice that there are 2 parts to it. One part is smooth, and the other part has a ridge on it. You want to separate the 2 parts from each other and cut the smooth part of the cord. On your dimmer ( Mine has (from left to right) black wire, black wire, green ground wire) You are going to twist together (after you have stripped off the coating) the black wire on the left with the bottom part (the cut end that is closest to the plug of the cord) of the lamp cord that you cut. Then you will twist together the second black wire on the dimmer to the top cord (the cut end that is closer to the lamp part) of the lamp cord. My dimmer kit came with 3 of the plastic covers that you twist over top of the the exposed wires that you twisted together. I hope this makes sense. I don't have a picture right now, but could take one tomorrow and post it if you like.

I really like the fish tank incubator, though if I do anymore incubating I think I'll use the 20 gallon tank that I have set up for hatching. The larger area seems to hold a more even temperature than my smaller 10 gallon incubator does. Then again, I don't have a dimmer on the lamp of the 10 gallon either, but the 20 is larger... lol.

Edit: Hey! you work at a lowes?? Got any friends in the electrical department? They could help you wire it up I'm sure.

Last edited:
I am the farthest thing from an electrician as well but there are plenty of online videos etc for beginners at DIY.com as well. I have watched a few there and truly seeing what is being explained is 10000 words....

I got it! i wired it up a little while ago. after i got off work today i got a 125watt brooder bulb, socket, dimmer, thermometer, and some plexiglass that made a great window.
i'll post pics of it soon.

Back
Top Bottom