Tips on Bonding with a Pigeon?

About 6+ weeks ago, I unexpectedly got a single female pigeon. I don't have any experience with pigeons, and I did the following. I let her be free in spare room. She has a cage in each corner, both covered with thick towels. I'd go into room 2-3 times per day for at least 5 minutes. Since I couldn't figure out treats, I just basically ignored her (it is a good place to chat on your phone). I made zero effort to touch her or catch her for about 2 weeks. First, she started flying onto my head or near me on the floor and walk around, which led to her flying onto my arm and nibbling on me. After about a month, she has become extremely affectionate and bonded to me so that I can walk up to her and pet her or pick her up. The last few days I've been replacing the floors in that spare room (heavy duty vinyl for easier cleanup), so she's been in my office with me. I didn't realize how much she had changed until now as she is crawling on my keyboard as I try to type..... or other such behavior to get me to pay attention to her. She even likes to lay in my lap and have me pet her.

Best of luck bonding with your new pigeon!

Thats her flock behavior kicking in! She was super lonely! Since he is still young, you have a better chance of bonding with him. Try only feeDing him from your hand for a while. My hand raised bird is super attached to me! Hand rearing is the best way to have a tame, bonded bird.

Back
Top Bottom