Tips on breaking broodiness

No, i completely understood you. I just jumped track to the other topic. I do understand the genetics behind her. I just hope she doesn't go broody as often as I'm thinking now.

I have 24 straight run Buff Orpingtons... and I've learned they tend to be broody.... :barnie Not good. I'm sure I'll be investing in some sort of broody box. *sigh*
I currently have 5 buff Orpingtons of various ages, only 1 of them has ever gone broody. I had one show bred who was chronically broody, so it depends on the breeding line, most hatchery Orpingtons don't go broody, or at least that has been my experiences.

Thanks to this group, I knew what to do for my Broody hen. She was sitting on 11 eggs, protecting them with her wings, for 24 hours. I lifted her out of the nest, and she seems to be happy to join the flock again. I found her sitting on 12 eggs.

A few weeks ago they were nesting all around the yard, so I put some ceramic eggs in the nest, to encourage them back to the place most convenient for me to gather them... and then brooding happens. I sure am on the learning curve with these backyard chickens.

Back
Top Bottom