Tips on building a cheapo coop and run?

Me too! They sell them cheap at the Restore if you can't find free ones.

Have you looked into Habitat for Humanity's Restore to see if there is one near you?

This is our local store link
http://www.hfhcv.org/restore.php

Screenshot_2018-01-02-22-04-18.jpg

Hey! I have been looking around on here for a while at all the different coops people have built, but have been shocked by the prices. Any tips, ideas, or other info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Just adding another one to the mix. You'll be able to find all you want by following the very good advice in all of these replies. Happy building and keep us posted! We love pictures..and misery loves company. LOL Check out my coop by clicking on the link below my avatar.

I got a lot of 2x4s for free, but when I first started, I didn't know how to frame the sides of the coop, so the coop looks a bit bad with some touch-up hammering to get things right. Be sure to check some Youtube videos about that if you're doing the sides like a shed style.

I had built a short coop before but this time when building a taller walk-inl coop, I didn't understand the value of having as straight as possible 2x4s, since for a short one, you often don't get into the curves of the 2x4 yet so that didn't come up before.

You can also see the sample sheds at Lowes or Home Depot that are on display, to give you ideas about how to connect things.

Definitely recommend 1/4" hardware cloth on the bottom 1-2 feet of the coop, then the upper portion can be regular chicken wire, if your coop is not being enclosed with wood as some of the designs here have shown

I would go with Polycarb. The PVC will be soft in high heat temperature condition. I have Polycarb patio cover for 15 years and still in very good shape.

Great, there is only one local Lowes that has any stock..about 45 minutes away...heading there tomorrow...they only have 12' runs in stock too...so I'll cut them and use both pieces...I have a 4x6 coop

Great, there is only one local Lowes that has any stock..about 45 minutes away...heading there tomorrow...they only have 12' runs in stock too...so I'll cut them and use both pieces...I have a 4x6 coop
Before you go there, check your store online. different stores have different colors on sale and some have none on sale. I have about 8 - 10 Lowes within 45 minutes of me, that I checked the other day.

Before you go there, check your store online. different stores have different colors on sale and some have none on sale. I have about 8 - 10 Lowes within 45 minutes of me, that I checked the other day.
Yeah I did that. None of the closer stores have any. I was looking for them in a shorter length too but only 12'ers...whatever..it's going to save me a lot

Back
Top Bottom