Tips on choosing silkie babies?

FenDruadin

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Charlotte, NC Area
We're thinking about getting a few silkies. There are folks advertising on craigslist here, and of course there are always hatcheries to order from. We only want a few, but I'm perfectly comfortable finding someone to split an order with if I decide to order.

Any thoughts on what I should be looking for when choosing babies? I know I want blue, splash, black, or white in terms of color. I also want strong broodiness and extreme friendliness. Cuteness is a given in the breed, but I don't care too much whether it's from show stock or not, as long as it serves the purposes I'm looking for and looks nice.

I'd love suggestions of good breeders and/or tips on finding a good local source.

Thank you!!

I personally like upintheholler's birds here in SWVA and she ships! I am sure that other BYCers have great stock too...I just know hers personally
smile.png

PM her and see what she has. She will walk you through what you are looking for in a quality bird I bet.

Have fun! We LOVE our silkies
smile.png

The larger the crest on the babie chick, the larger the crest on the Adult! So if you are looking for a really cute silkie, pick the chicks with the larger, more defineded crests

Thank you VERY much. I'll look into the upintheholler's birds & maybe contact her. That's not all that far, so the shipping shouldn't be too hard on the babies either. Thanks for the suggestion, and also the tip on crests!

Try Sassy Silkies. I have some birds I hatched from her eggs and they are great. Also try Catdance Silkies in WA. I just got some eggs from her last week. Very pleased!
big_smile.png

Im having a mind block right now and cant think of any other names.

If your looking for nice fluffy birds, big crests, lots of toe/leg feathering, go with a breeder instead of a hatchery. Hatchery birds are usually very poor representives of the silkie breed. I had hatchery silkies a couple years ago, and they were very skiddish, nothing like the silkies I have now.

Back
Top Bottom